2002 Toyota Sienna Automatic Gear Shift Just Broke!

Hello,

I've just joined the group and I hope you will be able to help me out. My Sienna has 55000km on it and we baby this car to the 'T'.

I had just started the vehicle and was about to change from 'P' to 'D' when the gear shift lever broke. No force was used and we always pull back the shifter and change gears with minimal force.

I had the vehicle towed to the dealer and the technician showed me where the aluminum brackets broke in three places. I was in shock that the design and material was not made engineered to last. The technician said that the material is made of aluminum and he just replaced one a couple of days ago.

Have anyone or do you know anyone who had this problem? Normally, the part should last the life of the vehicle. I am going to call Toyota Canada and find out if this is a defect because it's going to cost $600Cdn, the part is about $155Cdn and rest is labour.

Any help in letting me know if this is common and if Toyota should have a bulletin or consider this as a defect.

Thank you everyone.

Reply to
kevincwl2006

Defects in material or workmanship are covered during the warranty coverage period. Is your van still covered by the new vehicle warranty? If so, then defects will be repaired at no charge under the manufacturer's warranty. If the vehicle is outside of the factory warranty coverage, then defects are no longer covered.

If a part breaks, it is not necessarily defective or covered by any warranty.

Toyota Canada will not be able to tell you if your shifter is defective or not because they do not have the shifter in front of them. Rather than asking whether the shifter is defective or not, I recommend that you contact TCI and politely explain that the shifter broke, that you have all of the vehicle's maintenance and repairs performed at the dealership (if this is true), and would TCI please consider a goodwill adjustment?

You can check whether there are any bulletins on the condition at

Keep in mind that the presence or absence of a technical service bulletin on any condition does not mean that it is covered by warranty or that customers will get repairs done at no charge.

Reply to
Ray O

Go away TROLL, Toyotas never break down. You MUST have done something to the car LOL

Reply to
Mike Hunter

My family has 6 Siennas. None have ever broken their shifter.

Reply to
Viperkiller

But, are *your* Siennas of the car variety?

Reply to
FanJet

Pardon me for missing it. What is your question exactly? Between my brothers and sister there are 6 Sienna which includes both generations. One of my best friends has one too.

Reply to
Viperkiller

Viperkiller, just in case you happen to still be looking for a proofreader and/or editor, you might want to enter the search words "editor proofreader" at Google.com.

When I did so, some promising advertisers showed up in the right margin. They might be of use to you--I don't know:

ProofreadNow.com Wordsru.com Scribendi.com SoloGig.com

Or you might want to check out Ebay. Some freelancers might advertise there--at least they used to. Haven't seen one there lately though.

Reply to
Built_Well

Thanks for the information. I was really just joking about the proof reader job. My office manager was an English major. I have her proof read everything. For a proof reader, she's one hell of an office manager. I'll pass the information you just gave to her as well. Thank you again.

Reply to
Viperkiller