Corolla's cool but could be better equipped

Corolla's cool but could be better equipped

Mark Rechtin Automotive News December 24, 2007 - 12:01 am ET

DURHAM, N.C. - Toyota needed an extra year to redesign the Corolla because too many engineers were tied up on other projects. The long wait for the new Corolla raised expectations. But while some of the changes are impressive, the effect of cost cutting is apparent in several key places.

The redesigned 2009 Corolla goes on sale in February, and it's no ordinary debut. This is, after all, the No. 3 selling car in the land when paired with its five-door variant, the Matrix.

The Corolla/Matrix, now in their sixth year on the market, outsell the Ford Focus, Chevrolet Cobalt and all their variants combined.

In 2006, Corolla/Matrix sales rose 13.5 percent to 387,388. Through November of this year, sales are running 4.2 percent behind 2006. Loyalty is strong. One out of every three buyers replaces a Corolla with another one.

The basics: The wheelbase and length are about the same as the old Corolla, but U.S. product planners managed to get 2.4 inches more width for the new edition. That's a big deal, since Japan typically has the final say. In the past, home market width regulations have constricted the car's girth.

Designing a much wider Corolla for a foreign market means Toyota no longer is building a world car with slight regional variations. A different width means different assembly procedures for the North American version. Notable features: U.S. buyers will have a choice of two engines: a 1.8-liter with a four-speed automatic for better fuel economy and a 2.4-liter with a five-speed automatic for more performance. A five-speed stick shift will still be available with both engines.

The base Corolla features 15-inch wheels, a trip computer, air conditioning, a purse hook, intermittent wipers, daytime running lights, remote keyless locks, a tilt/telescoping steering wheel, upper and lower glove boxes and a four-speaker CD audio system with iPod jack.

All versions have six airbags, antilock brakes, brake assist, traction control and a vehicle stability control system that can be deactivated.

More power, space

2009 Corolla 2008 Corolla Wheelbase 102.4 in. 102.4 in. Length 178.7 in. 178.3 in. Width 69.3 in. 66.9 in. Height 57.7 in. 58.3 in. Base engine 1.8-liter I-4 1.8-liter I-4 Horsepower 132@6k rpm 126@6k rpm Torque lb-ft.128@4.4k rpm 122@4.2k rpm Opt. engine 2.4l 158 hp n/a Curb weight 2,723 lbs. 2,530 lbs. Base price TBA $15,065* On sale February Now *Includes shipping

What Toyota says: "This required a complete departure from the traditional and convervative influence of the Japan domestic market, the previously sacred ground, to a style that was youthful and sporty and far more European," Shinichi Yasui, Corolla's chief engineer, said at the media introduction here. "We focused on specific top-class aspects from each region from the beginning."

Compromises and shortcomings: The standard rear drum brakes, base four-speed automatic transmission and Stone Age rear suspension are all cost-cutting casualties when compared to the better-equipped Honda Civic and Mazda3. To get uprated parts on the Corolla, a shopper must get the top trim level. The car gained nearly 200 pounds in the redesign.

The market: Toyota hopes the new Corolla and Matrix will sell about 360,000 units next year as sales ramp up, with the Corolla taking about 80 percent of the total. The company expects to reach 380,000 to 390,000 in 2009 and beyond.

Nearly 25 percent of Corolla buyers are over 60 years old. With the 2009's styling, Toyota aims to capture more youth buyers.

The skinny: That new styling indeed may attract younger buyers, but the 2009 Corolla still is more conservative than the Civic and Mazda3. And young buyers compare specification charts. They'll see where the Corolla comes up short. It seems Toyota's value and performance camps were at war in creating this car.

Reply to
C. E. White

Based on the photos alone, the only thing I don't like is the styling of the rear. Its still the same as the 2008 corolla. Not a complete redesign of the exterior. Maybe its cost cutting and save on tooling of plastic parts

Reply to
EdV

Designing and marketing a car is a tricky business. Auto enthusiasts and car buff magazines like more advanced features like independent rear suspension, double wishbone front suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes, etc. but the majority of the car buying public has no idea what that stuff is and don't care whether a car has it. The average car buyer cares about style, performance, fuel economy, comfort, safety, content, reliability, and utility. The automakers want to make money selling their cars, and no other automaker, regardless of technical sophistication of their products, is as good at making money as Toyota is. It looks like Toyota is going after the larger population of average car buyer with the new Corolla and is willing to let Honda and Mazda have more of the niche buyers.

Reply to
Ray O

It also means it'll be more difficult to fit into the tiny parking spaces it can now fit into... Boo, hiss, IMO.

Side curtain bags in the mix, then?

Cathy

antilock brakes, brake assist, traction

Reply to
Cathy F.

Have a look at a Scion tC: the hatch hinges are cheap, the A-Pillar flexes if the door is opened too hard (like with the car pointing down an incline...)

It's not only an effort to make ,ore affordable cars, but also to keep fuel economy figures high. But the cars suffer in the long run.

Reply to
Hachiroku

If the wheelbase and length are about the same, then it should be able to fit in the same parking spaces as the current model. More width shouldn't make it harder to park.

Probably driver and front passenger front and side airbags plus side curtain.

Reply to
Ray O

(yer talking to a woman Ray... ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

Then is it only extra *interior* width?

That was my guess...

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

You better duck for cover. Quickly.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

I guess some women are more concerned about length than width ;-)

Reply to
Ray O

I doubt it. Most likely, the exterior is 2.4 inches wider.

Reply to
Ray O

BWAHAHAHA, I didn't see that coming

Reply to
EdV

That was what I was originally assuming. If a parking space is "x" inches wide, then a wider (exterior dimension) car will be more difficult to get into a narrow parking space than a narrower car. No matter the if the wheelbase & length of the new version is the same as the older version. Less wiggle room.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

I'm not biting. ;-P

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

I generally try not to squeeze into narrow parking spaces because the people on either side are pretty sure to ding my car with their doors!

Reply to
Ray O

Reply to
Hachiroku

THANK GOD!!!!!

(RUN AWAY!!!!!)

Reply to
Hachiroku

LOL... I'm the same way.. I'll park 2 miles away at the far end of the parking lot if thats what it takes to avoid door dings.. I had one guy that was with me comment on it one day. I told him I was just saving some persons life by parking so far away. IE: avoid death by strangulation by a livid door dented car owner. I've had the current corolla since Feb.. Still not a single door dent in that car. Knock on wood.. I've had people ding my doors while I was sitting in the car! They just don't give a #$%@... I decided they are not getting the chance on this one if I can help it. MK

Reply to
nm5k

Parking at (my) work has no such option! Space is at a premium. Esp. in the winter, when the custodians don't plow the snow completely off the parking lot, & then there are even fewer parking spaces left, & so what's left of the lot renders narrower & narrower parking spaces.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

when i can i park on the end in a parking lot next to a concrete curb . that way only one side of you car is exposed . have a 06 camry and a 97 corolla . the camry to date has no dings and the corolla has only 2 small ones. of course it is a longer walk but to me it is worth it.

Reply to
Dave Dave