excessive oil use

1000 miles to a quart will not result in "plugs wet with oil." Remember, you can be pumping oil out the exhaust valve guide seals at high rate and yet the spark plug will have no deposits because the lost oil did not pass through the combustion chamber. Think about it.

-Philip

Reply to
Philip

Some leaks are only present when the engine is actually running and very little oil shows up on the driveway. Some people don't even have a driveway, so they don't have a consistent spot to check. I think the usual way to diagnosis an obsucre oil leak is to add special dye that lights up under black light. Even if the leak is only present when the engine is running, the dye will stain the area of the leak and show up under black light.

I agree replacing the pcv valve and checking the hoses is a very important step. I might also have a professional perform a careful check for an oil leak using the dye method. See

. Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Exhaust valve seals are not usually a major source of a leak unless the valve stems and/or guides are really worn. I've seen engines that didn't even bother with seals on the exhaust side. I cannot imagine that a well maintained car with only 82,000 miles has worn out valve stems or guides. On the other hand, 1 quart in 1000 miles is not particualrly bad oil consumption. I do as other have suggested and carefully check the PCV system (actually just replace the PCV valve).

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Agreed, by and large. I recall BMW boxer engines didn't have guide seals on either valve. The early Honda 750 fours had no seals on the exhausts but later production engines got them for oil consumption and emissions reasons. Then there was the old FE block Fords that had a drip tray under the rockers which negated the need for guide seals. We don't know if the valve cover has been pulled, valve train inspected for sludge, and the oil separator matrix that feeds the PCV is flowing freely. In this instance, you can have a clogged up separator matrix yet the PCV in good condition. Result? No .... or insufficient ... blow-by removal hence, the blow-by flow is out the breather hose.

-Philip

Reply to
Philip

The Lotus DOHC four cylinders sold in Jensen-Healeys didn't have intake or exhaust valve guide seals. But the engines used inverted bucket tappets that largely shrouded the valve stems, so I think they could get away without the seals. On the otherhand, the engines leaked so much oil from every joint on the engine, it would have been hard to tell if oil was being sucked in through the valve guides or not.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

My brother had a 66 MG Midget. He once tightened the engine up to where it wouldn't leak oil. It also wouldn't start! MG's must be male cars. Always marking their territory. .

BTW, why do English have warm beer? Lucas (Electrics) also make refrigerators . . . .

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
n5hsr

MGs were definitly female. Not only to they 'spot', they leave snail tracks.

-Philip

Reply to
Philip