ON TOPIC: vent window won't close

2000 Sienna LE

The rear left vent window doesn't work properly. It usually opens but won't always close. The other one works fine.

I took the connector off and checked for voltage. I get 12 volts when operating the switch either way on the two contacts. Using chassis ground for the electrical loop. Obviously the power is good.

When I take the motor off the wall and operate the switch it works every time. The extension off the motor is like a ball and it goes into the socket of the attachment of the window. When I reattach the motor to the wall and hook it up to the socket of the glass it will open the window but won't close it. I can't see anything binding up so I don't understand why it isn't working. The only thing that comes to mind is that the motor is wearing out and can't handle the force required to close the window. Is this possible?

The local auto parts store doesn't carry the motor and Toyota wants $301 for it. I can probably get one from a junk yard but I am hesitant to do so because the motor is working.

Does anyone have a an idea how I can fix this?

Reply to
badgolferman

I doubt if the motor is wearing out.

Is it possible to stick a stiff piece of plastic like a pen into the socket and open and close the window manually? If so, see if it takes more effort to close the window than open the window. I suspect that the problem is with the window hinge, which might loosen up with a graphite-based lubricant like GM Heat Riser lubricant or aerosol Lock-Ease or with a bicycle chain lubricant.

Reply to
Ray O

If the socket of the window is not attached to the ball of the motor extension then the window pretty much flops open and closed. There is no resistance coming from the window hinge whatsoever. I am at a loss to explain why the motor cannot close the window once it opens it. When nothing is attached to it, it works every time. The only possible explanation is something is binding between the ball/socket junction or the hinge of the extension that protrudes from the motor. That part is like a double knee or such.

Reply to
badgolferman

What happens if you pinch the protrusion from the motor and provide a little resistance? Does the motor still work in both directions?

Try lubing the connection between the motor and window extension,

Reply to
Ray O