rubber preservative for mounts ?

Threaded View

My manual states I should use rubber preservative for the new
motormounts I am about to install on my geo prizm. Anyone know who has
this or what it is ? This is for a hot climate.

thanks

Re: rubber preservative for mounts ?

I've never heard of using a rubber preservative on motor mounts, but you can
try rubber bushing lube from Ford dealers.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

Re: rubber preservative for mounts ?

DO NOT use a petroleum based product - it destroys rubber.  Michelin makes a
product for tires. I don't think I'd worry about it.

Re: rubber preservative for mounts ?

===========================
The mechanics at our local dealer gave me some silicone grease when I
was installing stabilizer bar bushings. I've found it works quite well
on rubber bushings like the engine moving control rod, upper radiator
mounts and the like. Since I was replacing the old units for surface
cracking, it seemed like a good idea. I also put some on the control
arm bushings when I replaced the control arm,  however it doesn't seem
to do anything on the new style axle boots which are some kind of
copolymer and I wound up wiping most of it off the tie rod end grease
seals because it seemed to attract too much grit, generally though, it
works well.
Unable to find silicone grease, I use a small tube of "dielectric tune
up grease" which is the same thing.

Re: rubber preservative for mounts ?

Silicone grease can often be found in the plumbers' supplies area in a large
hardware store. It's also used to lube some popup drain parts (bathroom
sink).

Re: rubber preservative for mounts ?

okay, one down one to go. I now need to replace the mount that holds
the transmission up, left (driver side)
I was wondering if I can support the trans with a jack with a block of
wood under the transmission pan ? This is how I did it on the right
side (jack under oil pan)

Thanks

Re: rubber preservative for mounts ?

I can't visualize what you are facing, but I see no reason why you can't
support the transmission with a floor jack and block of wood.

I'd position the wood to disperse the weight across as broad an area as
possible, trying to cover at least three edges of the pan so it did not
crush against the internals. You don't need to raise the car on the
transmission, you just need to keep the trans from falling out, and you have
the motor mounts and the remaining transmission mount to help support the
weight.

Re: rubber preservative for mounts ?

Thanks for the info. I did it, replaced the right (passenger) mount,
the front mount and the left (driver) trans-mount. It wasn't bad at
all I must say. I attempted to get to the rear mount as well but it
seems I need to remove the bracket that holds the mount to the engine
as well and it's very tight in that area.

Re: rubber preservative for mounts ?

(Also replied by e-mail)

I would not try lifting the transmission with a block of wood under the
transmission pan because there is a good chance that the pan, which is only
sheet metal, will crush and damage the valve body above.  You would be
better off using the jack on the transmission bell housing where the
transmission mates with the engine, or immediately behind the transmission
pan.

Good luck!
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

Re: rubber preservative for mounts ?

On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 22:54:07 -0600, "Ray O"

Did that, thanks again ! I replaced 3 out of 4 mounts on the geo
prizm.
The fourth mount (rear) I wasn't able to get out. I am wondering if I
need to remove the bracket as well. I also had the front mount out
while I did the back one so I was able to wiggle the motor around a
bit, but it seems the mount didn't come out because it was blocked by
the body of the car, not the engine. If the bracket that holds the
mount to the engine is removed I think it will come out. Anyone here
have any tips ?

Thanks

Re: rubber preservative for mounts ?

It sounds like the bracket that holds the mount to the engine has to come
out.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)