rubber preservative for mounts ?

My manual states I should use rubber preservative for the new motormounts I am about to install on my geo prizm. Anyone know who has this or what it is ? This is for a hot climate.

thanks

I've never heard of using a rubber preservative on motor mounts, but you can try rubber bushing lube from Ford dealers.

--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

DO NOT use a petroleum based product - it destroys rubber. Michelin makes a product for tires. I don't think I'd worry about it.

RT wrote:

==========================The mechanics at our local dealer gave me some silicone grease when I was installing stabilizer bar bushings. I've found it works quite well on rubber bushings like the engine moving control rod, upper radiator mounts and the like. Since I was replacing the old units for surface cracking, it seemed like a good idea. I also put some on the control arm bushings when I replaced the control arm, however it doesn't seem to do anything on the new style axle boots which are some kind of copolymer and I wound up wiping most of it off the tie rod end grease seals because it seemed to attract too much grit, generally though, it works well. Unable to find silicone grease, I use a small tube of "dielectric tune up grease" which is the same thing.

Silicone grease can often be found in the plumbers' supplies area in a large hardware store. It's also used to lube some popup drain parts (bathroom sink).

okay, one down one to go. I now need to replace the mount that holds the transmission up, left (driver side) I was wondering if I can support the trans with a jack with a block of wood under the transmission pan ? This is how I did it on the right side (jack under oil pan)

Thanks

I can't visualize what you are facing, but I see no reason why you can't support the transmission with a floor jack and block of wood.

I'd position the wood to disperse the weight across as broad an area as possible, trying to cover at least three edges of the pan so it did not crush against the internals. You don't need to raise the car on the transmission, you just need to keep the trans from falling out, and you have the motor mounts and the remaining transmission mount to help support the weight.

Thanks for the info. I did it, replaced the right (passenger) mount, the front mount and the left (driver) trans-mount. It wasn't bad at all I must say. I attempted to get to the rear mount as well but it seems I need to remove the bracket that holds the mount to the engine as well and it's very tight in that area.

(Also replied by e-mail)

I would not try lifting the transmission with a block of wood under the transmission pan because there is a good chance that the pan, which is only sheet metal, will crush and damage the valve body above. You would be better off using the jack on the transmission bell housing where the transmission mates with the engine, or immediately behind the transmission pan.

Good luck!

--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 22:54:07 -0600, "Ray O" <rokigawaATtristarassociatesDOTcom> wrote:

Did that, thanks again ! I replaced 3 out of 4 mounts on the geo prizm. The fourth mount (rear) I wasn't able to get out. I am wondering if I need to remove the bracket as well. I also had the front mount out while I did the back one so I was able to wiggle the motor around a bit, but it seems the mount didn't come out because it was blocked by the body of the car, not the engine. If the bracket that holds the mount to the engine is removed I think it will come out. Anyone here have any tips ?

Thanks

It sounds like the bracket that holds the mount to the engine has to come out.

--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

Nothing found yet