Toyota's Board of Directors get American member

Toyota gets its first American Board member. James Press was the guy who represented Toyota in front of the US Congress. He's been with Toyota for about 37 years. Seems to be an excellent choice.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Ya kow, the other day I was thinking about something.

Toyota is much more of an American company these days than Japanese. A lot of the decision making is done in the US. A lot of the new models, even those made and sold in Japan, are designed in the US. The US manufactures more vehicles for Toyota than any other 'offshore' manufacturing facility Toyota has.

In the end, the final decisions are made in Japan, but the US has a lot of influence in those decisions.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Wrong. It is a very Japanese company. It attitude and culture is very Japanese.

About 1/3 of it vehicles are sold in the US, although most of its profit comes from here.

I don't think so. The Scion xB was designed for other markets. I think most of the US design work is for the North American market.

That might be true, but there are still far more cars made in Japan than the US. And most of the cars made outside of Japan by Toyota are made outside the US, too.

Actually, I think that the US has little influence in those decisions, especially the big ones. Toyota is thinking on a global scale. The US is an important part of that. But, Toyota has its own very Japanese culture and way of doing things.

Price will be one of thirty directors. He will be the one first and only non-Japanese director on the board.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

[...]

Yeah? Most of their desing is done in California now, a lot of the manufacturing engineering is done in Indiana.

But the ideas for what models to be produced is right here in the US of A.

MR2: US design Avalon: US Design Camry: US design Corolla (Matrix): US design FJ Cruiser: US Design Solara: US design

AFAIK, (from what I saw somewhere) Most Toyotas produced outside Japan are in the US.

And they keep the Japanese Culture going, in manufacturing methods and quality assurance. But more and more of the Nuts and Bolts stuff is done here in the US.

Reply to
Hachiroku

If Toyota starts building cars on Jupiter (hey there's lots of hydrogen there), it attitude and culture can still be very Japanese.

It has always made more cars in Japan than outside Japan, although now it is close to 50/50.

Last year, Toyota made 1,519,000 cars and trucks in North America, and about

2.3 million cars outside Japan and North America. It made over 1,100,000 in Asia (excluding Japan) and just over 800,000 cars in Europe.

The fastest growing markets are in Asia, especially, China and India.

Why do you think that?

Many of the ideas, especially for the trucks, come from the US. But, less

1/3 of the cars built by Toyota are sold in the US. And the US market is shrinking, not growing.

For the American designs, but not for the designs used overseas.

It seems Toyota wants people to think the cars are designed near them.

And, for the most part, that's true. I think the overall design comes from Japan or someplace else, and the regional engineer facility, like the ones in Michigan, California and France modify the design for the local market, like the US, Korea or Europe.

Most of the nuts and bolts of stuff is in Japan. In the 75-year history of Toyota, only one board member has been from outside Japan. The main decisions are made in Japan. And no one outside of Japan reports directly to the president of Toyota.

Reply to
Jeff