03 Camry starter noise 4 cyl

Only since the cold wave (I live in CT) I have noticed that when I start the car, sometimes after it starts I can here a whine for a second. It sounds as if the starter gear has not released from the flywheel. This only happens when the temp is about 10 F or colder. This happens only when I release the key.

Is there any similar cases? Thanks

-- Tony Marsillo Nutmeg Repair

Tony Marsillo

I recall hearing a noise like that on my 2002 Camry LE V6 when I used to run regular 5W30 grade oil. When I switch to Mobil 1 5W30, I never heard that type of noise. It might be coincidence or misinterpretation tho, but the car sounds very smooth even when its been -15 F.

Reply to
Car Guy

I would think the belt was slipping for few turns that why you heard the whine noise ??

Reply to
canoe2

Tony,

I noticed the same situation with an 03 4 cyl. Live near Boston and I've only heard this when ambient temp is as you describe. I think it is the starter gear just slightly reluctant to return to the disengaged position due to temperature binding. I wouldn't think it would be a problem.

Tom...

Reply to
Tom & Win

Tom, Today (Sat) temp was about 25 - 30 F, I had my wife start the car while I had the hood open. It did not do it. I will have to wait till it gets cold again to pinpoint it.

Thanks

-- Tony Marsillo Nutmeg Repair

bu797k$egl4h$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-102725.news.uni-berl>

Reply to
Tony Marsillo

I have the same problem with -03 SE 4-cyl. When it gets colder than -10 Celcius (often in Canada). There is a squeking noise lasting about 1 second after engine starts. At first I was thinking that the starter motor is not releasing from the flywheel. But the noise is not quite like that. Now I'am thinking that a belt is slipping and giving the sound. I haven't contacted a dealer about it. Just my thoughts.

Reply to
Saku