VW Polo starter noise

I have a 1996 VW Polo that makes a loud graunching noise when I start the engine.

A new starter motor was fitted but the noise is still there.

I thought the ring gear on the flywheel must be damaged but if I prevent the engine starting by disconnecting the HT lead the starter runs quiet and normal, no graunching.

I'm thinking the starter must be disengaging and trying to re-engage when the engine is running.

Any thoughts as to what is happening?

Reply to
Driver

IIRC these suffer from a common fault in the ign switch that keeps the starter spinning when it shouldn't.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Is the noise there just for a few seconds after starting or does it remain longer. If it just lasts a few seconds after starting it's most likely the bushing in the bell housing is worn. The old Polo and Golf starters have the front bush in the bell housing, not on the starter.

John

Reply to
John

Thanks for the suggestions.

The noise noise remains as long as the key is turned.

I like the idea of a worn bush though, I imagine the bush is difficult to change.

Reply to
Driver

no, not really, it is just a little tube of brassy stuff, the new starter should have come with a new one. take the starter out and have a look, you will see that the nose of the starter is a rod which fits into the bush, take a look at the bush, it should have a nice round hole, if it is missing or very worn you will get problems. removal is a question of screwing a tap into the bush and keep turning till the bush comes out, or find a close fitting rod, fill the bush with grease and hammer the rod into the hole, this hydraulically pushes out the bush. fitting the new is just tap it in and grease it up well.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Thanks for all your help