91 4 cyl starter problem

An intermittent problem occurs while starting. The starter gear does not fully mesh with the flywheel gear and creates terrible grating noise. I presume the starter gear does not fully jump into the flywheel gears. On second or third attempt the gears mesh and car starts quickly. I wonder if the electrical contact in the ignition switch might be the problem before I rip out the starter and lubricate its starter gear action. Thank you, Seamus J. Wilson

Reply to
sligo

gear teeth on the starter pinion gear were never bevelelled to allow easy meshing with the flywheel teeth. Over time, the harder pinion teeth make a mess of the softer flywheel teeth - only solution -new flywheel and proper pinion gear on starter.

Allan

Reply to
Allan

Reply to
sligo

It maybe the flywheel and/or starter pinion teeth worn, but is more likely to be the one-way cluch slipping in the starter itself. These are replaced with the pinion/drive and are not very expensive.

Its impossible to check the clutch by hand as the amount of torque required to make it slip is great.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

I am not a technician, but our 88 Camry experienced the problem.....I let it go until my wife couldn't take it anymore.....it was taking up to 10 times to start it.

Also, there is a TSB on the problem: ENG025 FEB 89 Starter - Ring Gear Noise

The fix for our 1988 4 cyl was starter ring gear/ flywheel at about $700....ouch.

-

-- Curtis Newton snipped-for-privacy@remove-me.akaMail.com

ICQ: 4899169

Reply to