1994 Camry Timing Belt

I am not a having much knowledge about auto mechanism.

Is there any chance that leaking engine oil will get in contact with Timing Belt on 1994 Camry & cause it to break.

When I replaced my car tyres last week, the mechanic did a eye check & found that the front of my engine is having some oil leakage. In fact it's not dripping just seapage. Whether this will call any problem to timing belt. The car mileage is 125000 & timing belt has been replaced once.

Reply to
swami

on your next belt change have all the oil seals replaced on that side of the engine. It does not take much more work to do.

Reply to
ROBMURR

The crankshaft oil seal is right behind the bottom timing belt drive sprocket so, although the design of the sprocket and the block face in that area is such as to try to minimise this, oil can get on the belt, and will degrade it slowly.

It looks like you are about due for another belt soon, so, as Robmurr says, have both jobs done.

Think about replacing the water pump too, as that hides behind the timing belt. It would be a good move at this mileage.

--
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to

How much will all this costs to me roughly.

Reply to
swami

Toyota dealers in the Boston area have recently increased the price of a timing belt replacement from $199.95 to $219.95.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

Thanks, But I was looking for an approximate estimate for entire work listed above which includes replacing engine oil seals, water pump & timing belt. Wht's the ballpark figure for all this work.

Reply to
swami

Just finished major servicing on a 1994 Camry four cylinder at 120,000 miles couple months ago including the items you mention. There are a couple of other items you might want to consider having done at the same time. Good news, bad news. Which do you want first? Bad news is, could run around $1,500 for everything. Good news, in many ways the car will be better than new, in perfect operating condition. Rough guess, doing my own work, buying parts and special tools on the Internet, around $750 for the following:

6/12/04: Major Servicing: 120,124 miles: Replace: timing belt, crankshaft oil seal, oil pump oil seal, oil pump O-ring, camshaft oil seal, idler bearing, idler tensioner bearing, timing cover gasket set, valve cover gasket, ck valve clearances, PCV valve, PCV valve grommet, oil cap gasket, distributor O-ring, distributor cap, rotor, distributor packing, spark plug wires, spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter, ck. battery, oil pan gasket, transmission pan gasket, water pump, thermostat, radiator cap, gas cap, differential service, engine moving control rod, accessory drive belts: power steering pump, A/C - alternator, alternator brushes, ck. chassis mounting bolt torque, set ignition timing Have read more than once, the Gen. 3 Camry is the best car people have ever owned. Can't believe how well mine is running - highway distances, around town, handling, braking, acceleration, smoothness, comfort, performance - amazing. Been using Redline complete fuel system cleaner for some time now, adding each time fuel is added.
Removes contaminants from the intake valves, improves engine breathing and power. Also running Mobil 1 fully synthetic lubricants in engine, transmission, differential, power steering. Bled the brakes regularly with Motive systems power bleeder, so that wasn't noted on the major servicing, because the brake fluid was already very clean. Also like Lucas products in the engine, transmission, and power steering. Transmission is quiet, shifts beautifully. BTW, any mechanic should know this, but if you replace the engine oil pan gasket you need to use new exhaust bolts, nuts and gaskets. Also, not mentioned on my list, but also replaced the spark plug tube seals shortly prior to major servicing. Among my special tools is a used Burroughs belt tension gauge. Very nice, can watch the belt tension value change as tightened. I've found belt tension is usually guessed at, and off by perhaps 20 lbs. or more. Speaking of special tools, there's a cam oil seal installation tool that makes it very simple to work in the limited room between the camshaft and strut tower. Final tip: very, very much easier to remove the crankshaft pulley to access the lower bolts holding the engine support over the timing cover.
Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Strongly suggested: Don't make the mistake of trying to cut costs by using aftermarket replacement parts. Use only genuine Toyota parts. An independent mechanic probably will not use all Toyota parts unless you specifically instruct them.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus