1996 Camry 2.2 Litre-Auto 170KM

Lately the old girl has been sputtering and wheezing (occasionally stalls) at stop lights or when going downhill without gas, only when the engine is warm. This is intermittent and she refuses to do it for a mechanic but it does seem to be getting worse. It is otherwise a great car.

I changed the plugs which perked her up a bit. I cleaned the fuel tank with Methyl Hydrate, so its not bad gas. I also used three or four bottles of injector juice to clean the FI system. Does not indicate a bad injector as its not constant.

A dirty throttle body air intake has been suggested by an engine mechanic. Another guy said it sounded like a clutch band auto transmission problem but that is not it, I'm sure.

Any body ever resolve a similar problem?

Cheers

--
Lazimodo

I have a 96 Camry doing the same thing (maybe they are related - ha). I have 170K miles as well and it really runs great - when it's running. Mine only stalls occasionally, only when stopped/idling at a stop sign or traffic light. Might have noticed sputter when doing downhill (no gas) but can't be sure. No engine codes available, and mechanic is at a loss. I've replaced dist cap and rotor, but no help. Just an hour ago, I disconnected/reconected the engine coolant temp sensor and wiggled a few other wires around and went out for a 30 minute test run without a problem. Left it idle in driveway for another 10 minutes - no problem. It's in the low 60s now so I fear this problem will only show when it's warmer outside. Have you discovered what your problem is? Mine sounds very similar to yours. Thanks/Jim snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
kn4zj