camry's engine no longer quiet

hello - wonder if you can help me with this problem - I liked my 99 Camry because of its quiet engine - but lately, I notice the motor getting louder - and especially at higher speeds - a kind of loud humming noise - any suggestions from anyone what this might be...thanks...Mauro

Reply to
MJS

They do get noisier with higher miles on board. That humming noise may well be the internal gear-sets in the motor. There are 2 sets: i.e. one fore the

2nd cam (the first being driven off the crank,...the 2nd being the balance shaft drive gears.

For a sweet little engine, they do get noisy (speaking about the 2.2 four-cyl) later in life,..but the thing is they ALL get this way.

Try and compare it to another car with the same engine, I don't think it will sound any different.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Can you provide any additional information? What makes you think it is the engine rather than the tires? Have you checked under the hood? Air filter, oil level - engine/ transmission, power steering level, belts, etc? Loose timing belt?

Seems like you'd have a better chance of guessing what number I'm thinking of between one and ten, than isolating a sound we can't hear with no other clues.

Bottom line - something's wrong. Your '99 Camry engine should be just as quiet as before - so something is amiss.

Always best not to continue driving the car until the problem is diagnosed. Often can cause more damage. When you notice something not right, best to have it checked right away. Could be something simple and if not, even more reason to get it checked.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus