2002 4cyl engine noise....TSB help???

i have the 4cyl. '02 and under a normal accerleration the engine makes funny noise. i posted about it almost a month ago and someone gave me a link to Toyota Nation's TSB's but when i tried to open it i got an invalid response. after i couldn't open the link i went to the dealer and i was told that my warrentee is up soon but i waw told to try fuel additive (BG44k) or a higher grade fuel. neither worked and i only have 25k miles on the car. i thought i read somewhere in the group here that there was a TSB report on this maybe re: the manifold or something. i had new injectors installed in the car under warrentee back in Feb. because the check eng. light was on, but now this problem is not going away and the car sounds terrible when accellerating.

thanks...

mike...........

Reply to
JerseyMike

see if you can find a knowledgeable independent mechanic that specializes in Toyota to help diagnose it. fuel treatment or higher grade fuel would be for pinging the noise could be from the transmission could be a loose heat shield on the exhaust system could be a problem with a sensor, not signalling the ecm correctly on acceleration (even something simple like a disconnected wire)

Reply to
Daniel

If your car is under warranty now, then you should take it to the dealer and have them fix it. Taking it somewhere else doesn't make sense. Even if you take it in and the dealer can't find a problem, you now have a record on file of your problem. Then, if it shows up in the future you will be covered, even out of warranty.

Reply to
qslim

"" wrote: > i have the 4cyl. '02 and under a normal accerleration the > engine makes funny > noise. i posted about it almost a month ago and someone gave > me a link to > Toyota Nation's TSB's but when i tried to open it i got an > invalid response. > after i couldn't open the link i went to the dealer and i was > told that my > warrentee is up soon but i waw told to try fuel additive > (BG44k) or a higher > grade fuel. neither worked and i only have 25k miles on the > car. i thought > i read somewhere in the group here that there was a TSB report > on this > maybe re: the manifold or something. i had new injectors > installed in the > car under warrentee back in Feb. because the check eng. light > was on, but > now this problem is not going away and the car sounds terrible > when > accellerating. > > thanks... > > mike...........

TSBs are available from two sources.

  1. The NHTSA, that charges by the hour, for duplicating services and copies, at:
    NHTSA is the only source that?s up to date. - and -

  1. Alldata, that charges by the car, at:
    Alldata does not have all of the current year (2005) TSBs,until later. It has no 2006, yet.

Reply to
tbober

Could you expand on "funny noise"? And is it worse when very cold?

i posted about it almost a month ago and someone gave me a link to

Reply to
TheDoctor

we haven't had any real cold weather yet but after running another can of BG44k thru the tank the problem seems to have cleared up a little. the noise (as someone else helped decribe it) sounds like bottle caps bouncing around. it might be *Pinging* to others. i got the car from a senior citizen so maybe there was some carbon built up that the fuel additive has cleaned up, but when driving it at normal around town speeds it has a tendency to show up again. if i drive the car hard (accellerate hard and drive fast) it goes away for a while but after resuming normal casual driving it has a tendency to show up again. i use the same gas EXXON 87 oct. in my '99 Camry and never have a problem w/ the performance of that car and this '02 only gets about 15-25 miles a week put on it. i live close to where i work (about a mile from my home) so i usually ride my bicycle when the weather is nice and we use the car to shuttle the kids to soccer, food shopping, church and other around town stuff only. my '99 is use for the wife to commute to work which is about 160 miles round trip 4x's a week and that car has 157k miles on it. she has used the '02 (has about 25,500 miles on it) to go to work a few times and says the car runs great and it does, there is no hesitation what so ever, it idles real smooth and there is no hesitation when the gas is mashed to the floor. sometimes it just sounds like the old (60's-70's) Volkswagon Beetles.

thanks...

mike.............

Reply to
JerseyMike

Mostly 'cause I got tired of seeing this thread :>0, I broke down and looked through the Gen.5 TSBs for you.

Some "shudders," some surging, even a "thunk" from a suspension problem, but nothing like you report....There is a heat shield rattling, but it doesn't jibe with what you report.

Reply to
timbirr

"" wrote: > Mostly 'cause I got tired of seeing this thread :>0, I broke > down and > looked through the Gen.5 TSBs for you. > > Some "shudders," some surging, even a "thunk" from a > suspension > problem, but nothing like you report....There is a heat shield > rattling, but it doesn't jibe with what you report.

If I can bother you, where can someone get access to tsb?s, other than thru the dealer? Is there any sites that will allow us to view them?

Reply to
Fourmiler

in section 1.3 of the faq there is a link....I posted this to him before, but for some reason he never looked at it.

timbirr

every time i try to open it i get a pop up messsage that reads; "Cannot open file; it does not appear to be a valid archive."

that's why i've asked the message again. thanks for your help though,

mike........

Reply to
JerseyMike

If you get the error message "Cannot open file: it does not appear to be a valid archive" you should delete the file from your harddisk and redownload it.

Reply to
timbirr

i tried that twice and still got the same message.

mike...........

Reply to
JerseyMike

"Fourmiler" wrote: > If I can bother you, where can someone get access to tsb's, > other than thru the dealer? Is there any sites that will allow > us to view them?

Fourmiler asked: "If I can bother you, where can someone get access to tsb?s, other than thru the dealer? Is there any sites that will allow us to view them?"

see message 4, above

Reply to
tbober

Sure, if you want to pay $20 a shot