2002 2.5L Engine Noise

The issue with my car is with a metallic tick noise emanating from the engine specifically from 3000-4000rpms when cold or warm, otherwise the engine is silent. It is most noticeable when letting off the throttle while in gear. The current mileage is 145,000kms or

90,000miles. The problem started after getting my intake manifold gasket replaced 2 weeks ago, however I cannot understand how one would relate to the other. I don't believe that its piston slap however am open to suggestions. I've had one mechanic tell me that the engine is gone stating that the crankshaft was bent, pistons were gone, ..., with hearing this I didn't believe that this individual was correct so I had another dealership test for compression, the figures were 200,200,200,205 which basically means the engine is in very good shape. So what could this noise be??, I'm relatively sure its not an exhaust shield rattle, I don't believe its a tensioner issue because the issue is still there when the engine is warm.

Otherwise I have had the wires and plugs replaced.

Anybody have any ideas, or similar experiences??

Thanks Gerald

Reply to
Gerald Graf

Possibly an inspection of the inside of the timing covers could show 'rubbing' - that might indicate the tensioner.

Can someone use a stethoscope to 'pin down' the location better?

I dunno - just some ideas

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Oh yeah - maybe a brief experiment (say - before an oil change) with some high viscosity oil might help determine if its piston slap?

I dunno

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Is the ticking loud? Is the ticking a valve lifter?

Considering that the intake manifold connects to the head from the top, could it be that they misplaced a washer or something and it went inside the cylinder? Someone intentionally did this to me a long time ago and the symptoms were pretty similar.

Good luck!

Gerald Graf wrote:

Reply to
AS