Installing new stereo in 2002 Camry...

I'm planning to install a new in-dash cd/mp3 stereo in my '02 Camry. I have the correct wiring harness and I've done a number of stereo installs, so I'm no noob, but I have a couple of questions.

  1. The Camry has a six-speaker setup and my stereo only has a 4 speaker setup. What do I need to do to get all six speakers hooked up and are there any reasons I shouldn't do it?

  1. How do I exactly get to the stereo to take it out? I asked one of the guys at Circuit City and he said I needed to take everything on the dash apart. Based on the fact that he didn't elaborate and give me specifics, I think he was full of crap. I suspect there is an easier way. I've "googled" it, but turned up very little. I found one website that sells harnesses and things that only showed one page of instructions, unless you buy the harness from them, then you can see the rest. On the one page that it did show, it looked as though I would need to get under the hood and remove screws that seemed to be going into the firewall. Does this sound right?

Anyway, I would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Jit.

Reply to
lucidjit

The whoe dash does not have to come apart.. You were right about that guy. Its REAL simple. You'll need a flat head screwdriver and a 10mm socket. First, pop out the strip under the radio that has the ac controls on it. Just pry it out with the screwdriver. You can cover the tip with a rag if you are worried about scratching anything. It'll pop right out, diconnect the connectors on the back, and set it aside. Now, do the same thing with the trim surrounding the radio, the one with two vents on either side of the unit and the clock ontop. I usually pry from the top, putting a screwdriver in behind the edge of the plastic and pulling straight back, towards the rear of the car. It might take a little fiddling, but it will pop out, no screws or anything to worry about. Now that you have those two pieces out, there are 4 10mm bolts that hond in the radio. Remove 'em, and there you go. And also, the front left and right pairs of speakers run off only one signal, so your new radio will run all 6 without having to screw with anything. Good luck, post if you need help.

Reply to
qslim

Awesome!

Thanks for the prompt and detailed response to both questions!

Reply to
lucidjit

this link might help you.

Eric

Reply to
asdf

Sorry, I thought this was for Camry's 2000 and later, looks like it is actually 92-95.

Eric

Reply to
asdf

Ok, your help with the removal and installation of the new stereo was perfect. It came out fine, and I installed the new stereo, no problem. I'm gonna go for broke with another question, and I don't expect it will be easy.

I have one of those "Bass Tubes" that goes in the trunk. Nothing big or fancy, but it gives me just enough bass to enjoy a pretty wide range of music. But anyway, I need to run the wiring from the front to the back, including the power going from the battery. I've always wondered how professional installers hide the wiring so well. Happen to know the trick?

Reply to
lucidjit

The trunk installation isn't terribly difficult, just time consuming because you have to take a lot of stuff out to route the wiring. There should be a big rubber boot in the fire wall near the steering column and one on the other side of the glovebox. The power cable from the battery should go through there. Then route the signal wires from the stereo and the power from the battery down the side of the car and through the trunk. All the factory stuff (like satellite radio) goes down the right side of the vehicle. This requires removing the glovebox (held in by 4 screws and one 10mm around the perimeter of the box) the plastic door sill covers (held in by clips) the lower b-pillar cover (held in by clips) and the rear seat bottom cushion (also held in by clips). When you remove the fabric trunk liner, you'll see a couple of holes where you can run the wires into the trunk. It's doable, just make sure you clear some time to do it.

Reply to
qslim

What I would have said!

BTW, where ya been. The politics getting too thick for ya? ;)

Reply to
Vash the Stampede

Yeah, thats about the short of it. I do like getting on here and helping people out from time to time, but the political garbage is out of control sometimes. Particularly in the Toyota general forum. I barely go in there any more!

Reply to
qslim

Yeah, that's what I thought.

I miss having you there. Tegger is still there, and MDT still sticks his head in now and then (RARELY) but there isn't anyone there really anymore with any real tech expertise. Ray O is a pretty good source, all in all, but it would be nice to have some hands on guys left there when one of us really does have a question!

Plus, we need more racing fans! you say Scott win Watkins with a Toyota engine, right?!

What a race THAT was, a REAL F1 style road course! Fantastic racing for a change!

Reply to
Vash the Stampede

I am new to these forums, but I have a great link for taking everything apart to route wires. This is specifically for installing the factory xm stereo, but it details routing the wires from the trunk to the console. Hope it helps.

Brian Cunningham

I am new to this group, but I have a great link that I will help you. These directions are for installing xm satellite radio, but they detail routing the wires from the trunk to the stereo. It talks about everything that needs to be taken apart and how to do it. Hope it helps.

Brian Cunningham