2002 camry's rpms dropping after taking foot off gas pedal

It seems lately that whenever I take my foot off the gas, my car's engine rpms go from 2000 to under 1000, and the car really starts to decelerate. Is this normal, or is it something I should have checked? Thanks!

Reply to
Alina

It is an auto transmission...

Reply to
Nick

Yeah, sorry. It is an auto. The reason why i ask is because my old ford didn't do this.

Reply to
Alina

Yes it is normal.

Reply to
Mark A

Really? Do the RPMs rise when you step on the gas, too? You should probably get that looked at.

Reply to
Chris Aseltine

You'll also notice that when the small needle hits the big "E" the car stops completely.

Actually, in case you are serious, higher compression engines slow down more than low compression engines when you stop feeding it gas.

checked?

Reply to
Art Begun

If it has always done this than no its normal,if its new than what does your logic tell you. When you are sick what should you do , I hope you can figure it out.

Reply to
mark Ransley

There are 2 possibilities I can think of:

- ECU needs updating to allow for the 3rd to 4th shift to be more smoother

- If that fails, have the dealer check for codes, specifically for the shift solonoid. I used to have this issue with my 2002 Camry LE V6, and the programming did not help and the engine light came on and the solonoid was replaced and now, its smooth as can be.

Reply to
Car Guy

Further to my post, if you are going downhill, there is a "grade logic" being built into the transmission and system that provides lower engine revs to assist in downhill braking. This is NORMAL and is working as designed.

I can relate to you as I owned a 1999 Ford Taurus (piece of junk compared to the Camry) and there are notible differences in refinement and driving feel between the 2 cars.

As for the other posts, you can ignore the sarcastic comments as they probably misconstrued your comments or interpreted it in a different manner.

Reply to
Car Guy

Im guessin you have the 4 banger, I have a 2001 and you have to admit the power in the Camry isnt really there, although they are nice cars. What you are experiencing is very normal for Toyota. I am on my third camry.

Andi

Reply to
shatara

Thank you very much for your kind reply. I was ready to write this newsgroup off. i think it didn't happen mostly when it was downhill, I just wasn't used to it, since the ford didn't do it, and this is only my second car (and only my first newish car. My old ford was a

1992)
Reply to
Alina

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Alina being of bellicose mind posted:

This is partly false. "Grade Logic" records when you have ascended a hill and then start descending the other side. Once you close the throttle above 42 mph AND gain 5 mph with closed throttle .... if you moderately apply the brake for two seconds, the transmission will DOWNSHIFT from OD (4th) to 3rd. This will RAISE the RPM ... not lower it.

On flat ground however, the moment you close the throttle on OD, the engine torque converter unlocks resulting in engine RPM drop. The transmission remains in OD. This is not "grade logic."

Reply to
Philip®

Philip,

Yes you are correct. I stand corrected. Thanks for clearing that up.

Reply to
Car Guy

I haven't seen anyone mention the electronic fuel cutoff. This is most likely the cause of the drop in rpm and the deceleration that Alina mentions. There is some sophisticated logic to this operation, but generally over a certain rpm, when the driver back off the aceelerator pedal, the fuel injection system cuts off and you have two effects -fuel savings and increased engine braking. Also, over a certain speed the torque converter remains locked to increase the deceleation effect.

Tom...

Reply to
Tom & Win

In news:BBF8B5A0.19A79% snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net, Tom & Win being of bellicose mind posted:

All electronic fuel injection systems shut off fuel delivery during deceleration (something carburetors do not do). This behavior however is not relevant to why engine speed drops the moment you release the throttle. IN Camry (certainly not uniquely so), when you release the throttle from an OD/lockup condition, the torque converter immediately unlocks (rpm drops) so as to minimize vehicle momentum loss. Were the converter to remain locked, the RPM would remain as is was with light throttle applied and provide a little more engine braking. Not desireable at this time for best MPG. Another aspect of unlocking the torque converter at the moment the throttle is closed is to cushion accumulated driveline slop followed by cushioning again when throttle is reapplied.... afterwhich the T/Q locks again. Cushions driveline snatch.

During acceleration over a predetermined LOAD, the converter will UNLOCK, followed by downshift(s). For deceleration, the torque converter quickly unlocks to promote coasting (MPG). This is not universal. An example would be a three speed automatic with lockup having NO electronic governance. In this case, once the vehicle is in 3rd gear and above 45 mph, the torque converter locks up and stays that way irrespective of acceleration, cruise, or coasting.

Reply to
Philip®

You obviously did not understand what the original poster is asking. The question is legitimate. When crusing then releasing the gas pedal, the RPM should not drop to idle levels if the car is in gear. The reason is that the wheels are pushing the engine. This is how one would push-start a stick-shift. The RPM should drop to a level a little lower than when the gas is pressed.

--Ibrahim

Reply to
Ibrahim
1.) Don't trim attribution lines. 2.) Learn how an automatic transmissi> You obviously did not understand what the original poster is asking.
Reply to
Chris Aseltine

Notice I did not attempt to answer the poster's question, because I don't know the answer. However, my observations are still valid. Now it's your turn to answer since you know how it works.

--Ibrahim

Reply to
Ibrahim

Reply to
Chris Aseltine

That used to be the case. When the torque converter is "locked" there is no slippage. Just like a clutch. However, various transmissions unlock the torque converter everytime the throttle is closed (coasting) and re-lock it again after OD has been achieved with light throttle. Some 4 speed transmissions will also lock the torque converter in 3rd gear above 45 mph when OD has been blocked.

Reply to
Philip®