86 Toyota Camry Turn-Signal/Flasher Problem

I have a 1986 Toyota Camry with a Turn-Signal/Flasher Issue. The Rear Turn-Signals/Flashers work fine, but the Front Turn-Signals/Flashers do not flash at all. The two bulbs in both the front-left and front-right corner lights operate fine when the parking/head-lights are on, but they do not flash at all whether on or off, while the rear lights flash just fine for both Turn-Signal and Flasher operations. The odd thing is that the Hayes Camry Repair Manual says that the Left-Side operates together and the Right-Side operates together and is independent of each other and that there is no relation between Front and Rear. So can someone help me with this mystery problem? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
mutuee

Please forgive me if I misunderstood your description of the problem and your question.

Could you be confusing the front corner clearance/running lights with the actual turn indicators (which are in the lower valence, just under the bumper?)

Those front corner lights right next to the headlights won't flash under any circumstances. As you indicated, the rear combination light segments on the far corners should flash, as should the rectangular lights underneath the bumper.

With that said, each side is independent and the front, rear, and dash indicator lights for a side are wired in parallel and receive output from the flasher. Once you've ruled out the bulbs for the real flasher lights, I'd use a multimeter on the sockets to verify you're getting flasher output at the front.

Good luck.

TJ

-----

Fight pop-ups, spyware, and adware today with Super Ad Blocker at:

Tim J.