'89 Camry Always On 24/7

My '89 Camry refuses to turn off all the way. When I take the key out of the ignition in the "LOCK" position, the car's electrical system acts as if it is in the "ACC" position (ie. radio works, digital clock is on). I'm no electrical troubleshooting expert but I was able to determine that the problem is not with the ignition switch (where you would think it might be) because when I unplug the wire harness going to the steering column and ignition switch, the ACC wire (pink & blue wire) is hot on the battery side of the connection.

Any ideas of what this might be? My first thought is something to do with a relay in the driver's kick panel (because that is where the ACC wire originates before traveling up the steering column and meets the hot wires coming through the firewall from the battery) but other than that, I have no clue.

I should mention I bought this car used just over a year ago and it has been great other than this problem. I noticed the problem soon after buying it, so it's hard for me to say if it was like this before I got it. I might have created the problem because I disabled the clutch switch by cutting it out of the circuit because it was making it hard to start the car.

Thanks for your help!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Hartley

How can anybody give you info if you disabled a function./...... Wake up

Reply to
mark Ransley

Time to get out the crappy wiring circuits that Haynes and other after-market manuals offer or try getting hold of a proper Toyota manual. It sounds as tho the car has been in an accident perhaps and the wiring was installed incorrectly? Or there maybe a relay jammed on due to welded contacts. I found modern cars electrics to be a PIA to fault-find without a decent circuit.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

I'm no electrical troubleshooting expert but I was able to

Chris. I don't know what you mean by "the ACC wire (pink & blue wire)is hot on the battery side of the connection." "What is the Battery side"? Once you unplug the wire harness(like you did) from the ignition switch the ACC wire(Pink/Blue) does not have a "battery side" or a voltage source. The ACC wire starts at the ignition switch, and when UNPLUGED should have NOTHING(0 volt)on it, if you are reading a voltage on it, than it comes from another circuit in the car that was either tied to it intentionally(can't imagine why), or there is a short in a wire harness somewhere. I don't think the bypassed clutch switch is the reason. If the voltage that you read is on the switch itself(Ignition switch off) then the switch is bad. I looked at the electrical circuit diagrams for a 90 Camry, I don't know how similar the 90 Camry is to the 89 Camry as far as electrical circuits, but it shows that the first thing that the ACC wire goes to are the Cigarette lighter fuse and the radio fuse, assuming that the(hot)voltage that you read is on the ACC(pink/blu)wire when it's UNPLUGGED from the ignition switch, remove the 2 fuses to see if the voltage went away. post back if that did not help and I'll dig deeper into the diagrams(don't forget I'M LOOKING AT A 90 CAMRY DIAGRAM NOT 89. hope this helps you JerryR

Reply to
JerryR

Jerry,

Thanks for responding to my post. Let me clarify "the ACC wire (pink & blue wire) is hot on the battery side of the connection" - sorry, bad choice of wording on my part. The wire harness connection is the plug connection at the base of the steering column under the dashboard with the wires on one side of the connection going to the driver's side fuse box and the wires on the other side of the connection traveling up the steering column to the ignition switch where the key goes. Both sides of connection have a pink & blue wire. When I use my voltage light to test the ACC wire (pink & blue wire) on the side of the connection that has wires going to the fuse box, or "battery side" (NOT the side going up to the ignition switch), the wire was live. There were also two more live wires at this point - the white "AM1" and white-red "AM2"; I assume these are supposed to be hot, though, because according to my crappy Haynes manual wiring diagram, they come straight from the battery. Hope this isn't clear as mud.

Thanks for your suggestions regarding the fuses. I pulled the 15A Cigar Fuse and the 7.5A Radio fuse with the car key out of the ignition. The digital clock went out when I pulled the Cigar Fuse, but when I pulled the Radio Fuse, I could still turn the radio on and off with no key in the ignition.

I'm think this problem has something to do with the fuse panel - it's as if something is tying the hot AM1 & AM2 wires (come from the battery, through the firewall and into the fuse box) to the ACC wire that seems to originate at the fuse box to travel up to the steering column.

Thanks for your help, Chris H.

Chris Hartley wrote:

Reply to
Chris Hartley

Chris.

the White "AM1" and the wht/red "AM2" are supposed to be hot all the time just as you stated. While it is possible that there is a tie between "AM1" or "AM2" to the accesory(Pnk/Blu) wire in the fuse panel, You have to remember that there are other cicuits in the car that are kept hot all the time. Since the clock turned off when you removed the cig. lighter fuse(like it should)at least we know the voltage does not come from that circuit. Was the radio fuse out at the same time as the cig fuse? If the car has been in an accident, then wiring could have been repaired incorrectly, is it the original radio with the original factory wiring intact?. The radio for one, has 2 power sources, one to operate the radio(Green Wire- comes from the radio fuse)(that goes off with the ign sw) and one(Blue/Yellow wire that comes from the dome fuse)that is always hot for station presets memory retention. One thing that you can try before you start tearing into the electrical system, in addition to the 2 fuses(Radio & Cig.)Remove the(20A)DOME fuse and see if the radio goes off then. BTW the accesory wire does not originate at the fuse panel, it originates at the ignition sw and then goes to the fuse panel. Post back if you got more questions. Hope this helps JerryR

Reply to
JerryR