a Camry steel wheel question ...

I had a chance to buy 4 bare steel rims, hopefully to 'fit' a `94 Camry .

Found some "ID" as follows, on the 1st wheel : . J14x5_1/2_JJDOT CMC 198LC 12 . rim 'stamped' . 4 'dots' and "LC" stamped . on the hub(5 ribs)

The other '3' similar except ; . a 'section' of the "ID" was 596LC 14 /1097LC 20 /893LC 9 and, one(1) hub(5 ribs) was stamped . JA 07 . . .

Mite be some form of pt# , assuming rolled rims + stamped hub are assembled in diff plants.

Anyone know the "code" ???

Ed

Reply to
0_Qed

The JJDOT stands for the Japanese DOT, meaning they were passed by JJDOT for use.

Here's what you're looking for:

Measure the distance from the center of one bolt hole to the center of the other bolt hole. Most 4 lug Toy wheels are either 100mm centre-to-centre or 125.5 (4 1/2") centre to centre. The other number will be something like 14x5 or similar. This is the diameter of the wheel x width of wheel.

Chances are you have 14x5.5 w/125mm bolt holes. You should be able to go to a 15x6 with no problem. 15 or 16x7 is pushing it; when you mount the tires they may not clear the frame on turn (front wheels, of course...)

I put a set of Ford Escort alloys on an '83 Tercel, they worked fine. When I decided they'd look better on my '95 Tercel, I changed them ALL over and then discovered they didn't clear the brake calipers...

Reply to
hachiroku

Reply appreciated.

...snip...

Thanks.

Very little nitty_gritty wheel 'data', shown in the OEM Camry manual. "Which", I'm about to cut into manageable sections , ... & rebind. Worse_er_er than M$ 'Resource' manuals, sizewize.

Actually, they're a 5 bolt pattern , Camry wheels.

Someplace, safely filed 'away' , I do have the formula to compute(exact) 5_bolt , bolt_hole_circumference, given two(2), adjacent bolt ctr measurement.

Oh 'Well'. 'So' much for interchangeability.

I thot i'd stick with 'std' Camry spec'd rims & tires ... dont want to 'wear' the side_walls , or the brake/suspension parts.

Added that, I have a bit of 'concern' that wheel/suspension "tinkering" mite turn 'a bit cushy' into 'sloppy', handling_wize.

Ed.

Reply to
0_Qed

As for the last bit, tires definitelt DO have a bearing on ride and handling. Understanding a little about tires: if you have a 205/60-15 tire, this translates to 205mm width, multiply by .6 for the sidewall height in mm, and 15 being, of course, the diameter of the wheel. So, you have a sidewall height of 123 mm, about 4 inches (sorry if I'm being too basic here, I don't know what your knowledge level is...)

Best bet to enjoy the same ride and better handling: increase the width as much while keeping the sidewall about the same. Shorter sidewall means less sidewall flex, and better handling but a stiffer ride. The guys you see with the Hondas and Nissans with what look like bicycle tires will be replacing their fillings in due course!

I posted some tire calculators in a message either here or in the a.a.toyota group; they can help you figure what's good. I would say a 215 or 225/55-15 or 16 would be a good ride with decent handling. I 'upgraded' a '95 Tercel from 155/80-13's to 185/60-13's and the handling was so good I ran out of engine long before the tires would let go. And the sidewall height gave a decent ride, too.

Reply to
hachiroku