Clicking Noise in Serpentine Belt Area (Camry 2005, 4 cyl)

Threaded View

I hear clicking noise in the serpentine belt area in my Camry 2005 (4
cyl).  It has its original serpentine/drive belt at ~100 kilometers
(~62 k miles).  I guess there is many components that the drive belt
moves, so it can be many things...

Any common issues in this regards?  I have set up an appointment at
Toyota delership in a week for the serpentine belt replacement (based
on this news group info, it's about time to change it).

I have also noticed that idle RPM somtimes drops to 600 and results in
kind of car "shaking".  I am not sure if these two symptoms are
connected.  Possibly someone has already seen something similar.

Re: Clicking Noise in Serpentine Belt Area (Camry 2005, 4 cyl)

I thought 1998 and newer Camrys recommended timing belt replacement at
80K miles.  My 1997 Camry 4 is supposed to be 60K miles.  The anecdotal
evidence is they tend to last another 20K miles

Re: Clicking Noise in Serpentine Belt Area (Camry 2005, 4 cyl)

I was referring to drive/serpentine belt, the one that moves
alternator, water pump...

Re: Clicking Noise in Serpentine Belt Area (Camry 2005, 4 cyl)

The drive/serpentine belt has been replaced at Toyota dealership, but
the "clicking", "diesel like engine" noise remains.  The repair shop
did not indicate anything out of unusual in their written comments.  I
have found a similar symptom in this news group, and one comment says
that 4 cyl engines on Camry can get pretty noisy.  The noise is not
much noticable when the hood is closed, only with the hood opened.  I
would appreciate any comments.

Re: Clicking Noise in Serpentine Belt Area (Camry 2005, 4 cyl)

After listening closer, the noise seems to be coming from under
Cylinder Head Cover.

Site Timeline