Kirkland (Costco) Battery

I have a question about Kirkland brand battery for Camry (the replacement seems to fit lots of Toyota models: 24F type, Costco replacement number 8). This morning my 2005 Camry (4 cyl) could not start, it started on boost from another car, so I have assumed the battery needs to be changed. On Sunday our Toyota dealer is closed, so next choice was Costco - Kirkland brand. After replacing the battery everything seems to be fine. They have 3 year replacement policy (Ontario-Canada - cold winters), so I think this is pretty good. Any opinions as to the general quality of this particular brand?

Reply to
Wes

It appears you should have replaced your battery with a Kirkland Group size 35 per:

ED

I like to buy Kirkland batteries. They're dirt cheap and work fine. OTOH, I live in the tropics so I can't say how they do in cold weather. You'll find out soon enough. My guess is that you'll have no problem. If the thing dies in a couple of years, just buy another one. They're cheap enough.

Reply to
dsi1

Its possible just the terminals were dirty or loose, thats why you test a battery.

Reply to
ransley

Yes, I did test it during faulty startup. The voltage was dropping at the battery terminal to ~4 volts, at this voltage, I guess the starter has not been able to turn. I do not have a special equipment to test the battery.

Reply to
Wes

These people say "Costco is currently supplied by Interstate, which makes superb deep cycle batteries. "

badgolferman

Johnson Controls makes these batteries. They are excellent. However, I do prefer the AC Delco Maintenance Free. But they're harder to find. I didn't realize Costco restocked the 24F, I thought they were the smaller Group 35. But I haven't looked at them for a while.

You can let Autozone test your charging system as well. The alternator brushes may need replacing after many years. Johnson Controls also makes the Duralast/DL-Gold batteries at Autozone.

Reply to
john

I guess it gets a little confusing with all the numbers:

- 24F is the type stamped on the original Camry battery (i do not remember any other numbers, since the battery is already disposed)

- in Costco Kirkland catalog the replacement for 24F is number 8 (stamped on the Kirkland battery)

- the size stamped on Kirkland battery is in fact 35 - it is a little smaller than original Toyota 24F

Reply to
Wes

Many stores think they're helping the consumers by using simplified numbers instead of approved Group numbers by Battery Council International (BCI).

Groups 35 and 34 are smaller batteries. So if your car can take a 24F, I'd get the Duralast Gold battery from Autozone. It has very good performance numbers and an 8yr prorated/3yr replacement warranty. It's about $90. The mid-grade Duralast is about $80 with 8yr/3yr warranty.I wouldn't go less than that (Valucraft).

Duralast Gold:

935CA, 750CCA, 130min reserve capacity

Reply to
john

Groups 35 and 34 are smaller batteries. So if your car can take a 24F, I'd get the Duralast Gold battery from Autozone. It has very good performance numbers and an 8yr prorated/3yr replacement warranty. It's about $90. The mid-grade Duralast is about $80 with 8yr/3yr warranty.I wouldn't go less than that (Valucraft).

Duralast Gold:

935CA, 750CCA, 130min reserve capacity

****** Do you know who really makes these batteries? I have never used one of them, and have no experience with them.

Reply to
hls

Groups 35 and 34 are smaller batteries. So if your car can take a 24F, I'd get the Duralast Gold battery from Autozone. It has very good performance numbers and an 8yr prorated/3yr replacement warranty. It's about $90. The mid-grade Duralast is about $80 with 8yr/3yr warranty.I wouldn't go less than that (Valucraft).

Duralast Gold:

935CA, 750CCA, 130min reserve capacity

********* I googled it and found this answer to my own question: "Johnson Controls makes Diehard (Sears), Duralast (AutoZone), Interstate, Kirkland (Costco), Motorcraft (Ford), and some EverStarts. "

Reply to
hls

I've been using them for years. I just got a new one for my 4Runner under the 3 year warranty. Unlike most places, this is not a pro-rated warranty. There's a pro-rated warranty in addition to the the 3 year replacement warranty. This is the first one I've replaced within the three year period, the others went much longer. Actually it's not a replacement warranty, they just refund your money and you can go buy another one which may not be the same price as your original. Batteries are very high margin items, and I guess Johnson Controls credits Costco so I guess that's how they can afford to do this, but it seems excessively generous.

Reply to
SMS

Does Johnson Controls also make Interstate batteries?

Reply to
Bob Smitter

I posted above a list of Johnson Controls renames , and Interstate is among them.

Reply to
hls