Engine Light On - Camry 2005 4 cyl

My 2005 Camry 2005 (90,000 km = ~60,000 miles) has the the engine light on since last Sunday. I have been away for ~30 days and my son, a beginner driver has been the sole driver during this time when the light went on. The engine seems to be working fine, and I do not see any issues when driving. I wonder if anybody has an idea what steps I can take to diagnose the problem before taking it to a Toyota dealer? I do not have the code reader to read the fault number.

Thanks and regards,

Wes

Reply to
wbraczko

You need to have access to a reader, preferably for free of course. What you can do is loosen and tighten the gas cap, pull the EFI fuse (preferred) or disconnect the battery (having to reset radio stations) for a minute to clear the code. See if the code comes back.

Under or over the 60K mile mark? In the US there is the powertrain warranty, so I assume yours may have expired having to ask that question. Nothing beats having a problem fixed for free.

We can get an OBD-II/CAN reader for around $40 USD here, which is much cheaper than having the dealer just read out the code for you. Maybe there are auto parts stores willing to read them out for free, as we do in the US.

Reply to
johngdole

My 2000 Camry LE with almost 200,000 kms on it just did the same thing. The engine seems to be running fine, but i'm not taking any chances. I have it going in tomorrow morning to get diagnosed.

Reply to
anthonyzadeh

I don't know where you are located, but if you are in the US and have an AUTOZONE store near you, I understand that they will read the code for you(free??). Other auto parts store may provide this servicetoo eiter free or for a nominal fee. HTH JerryR

Reply to
JerryR

1999 Camry with 180K miles light came on 2 years ago. Autozone said O2 sensor was bad. replaced it, next year same thing. Car as 2 sensors. Replaced the other one and so far no engine light. My 2 cents.
Reply to
norm46

Thanks for this good info. I have purchased te new gas cap, and replaced it in my Camry. I have a folowing question: if this was an issue, would the engine light go off on its own after a while? If not, I will proceed as recommended with pulling EFI fuse for a minute to reset the codes.

Reply to
wbraczko

Well, I was hoping the code is read out first before you start buying parts. Because I think a lot of things may still be covered under the

5-year/60K mile (96K KM) powertrain warranty. However, emissions warranty was probably long gone.

You do need to pull the EFI fuse. EFI fuse is easier, so you don't have to mess with the battery cable and reset the radio station. Not to mention precautions working around a high amperage acid device.

Reply to
johngdole

Auto zone read my engine light code for free-was on my sons dodge van

Reply to
M.Balarama

I have pulled out EFI fuse for couple of minutes, but the engine light still is on. Looks like a trip to the Toyota garage is a must. I appreciate all the info. Thanks.

Reply to
wbraczko

I have done additional step before taking my Camry to the garage: disconnected bettery for few minutes to clear engine light, as recommended. This has worked, the light has cleared up, and stays off for couple of days already. So, EFI fuse did not clear the fault codes, but disconnecting the battery did. Meantime, i have purchased OBD2 scanner (Autel ms409), but there is no fault codes to read anymore. The tool reports no fault codes, since they have been cleared by the battery disconnection. I have the following question: is there an easy and safe way of inducing a fault to test my new OBD2 scanner? The scanner has a warranty for a year, so I would like to give it a good test before the warranty expires. Possibly some other idea on how to verify my new test tool? I was able to to read VIN number and some other car information using this OBD2 scanner.

Reply to
wbraczko

pull a vacuum hose off the egr valve, or undo one of the evaporative emission system vacuum hoses. You'll get a fault easily then.

Reply to
ycleptor

Looked under the hood and could not identify these hoses. Pulled mass air flow sensor plug off, since it was easly accessible, the engine light went on. My OBD2 scanner fully tested! Thanks for the info.

Reply to
wbraczko