Engine oil leak in '96 Corolla( 100K miles )

I went to get a regular oil change for my Toyota Corolla( '96, 100K ) and the mechanic told me that there was no oil in the engine because of a gasket leak. Surprisingly, I have no problems in driving the car. I wanted to know if gasket leak is a recurring problem or it can be fixed permanently. Also, how much I can expect to spend for the repair.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Reply to
Souvik

For your car to leak all the oil out would mean you'd have a massive amount of wetness where the oil was exiting, unless it occured over a long-long time. When did you last have the oil changed in terms of miles/kilometers?

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Thanks everyone for your help. I went to two mechanics - first told me that they have to dis-assemople the engine and will cost > $600. The second one fixed it for $150 saying one of the linings on the top was loose. The car is running fine now. No appreciable oil loss in last two days. Souvik

Reply to
Souvik