Exhaust system leak

Hi, I have a 93 4 cyl camry and I just failed the emission inspection. The guy there told me that they didn't even perform the test because I had an exhaust system leak. Does anyone know how they do the test? What could be the cause? Thanks.

be

Reply to
Erhan

Old exhaust pipes and rubber bushings can flex over the years and gaskets can leak. It may be as simple as replacing some gaskets ($5.99), if you don't have rust-throughs in the pipe itself.

It would help to ask the person doing the inspection about the details of the leak.

johngdole

I thought that they simply block off the outlet of the exhaust pipe at the rear of the car. If the engine keeps running, then there must be an exhaust leak along the way.

Reply to
Justa Lurker

I asked how they do the test because I wander if a clogged catalytic converter can have the same outcome.

Reply to
Erhan

== If you truly have an exhaust leak, you should be able to hear it. Most commonly at the flex pipe near the front of the engine.

Reply to
Daniel

Thanks. That was it, 259$ to replace it :(

Reply to
Erhan

== If you want to take the next step, check the "engine moving control rod" AKA "dogbone engine mount" at the strut tower near the timing belt cover. Look for deterioration or cracking in the bushing. If worn and neglected, this can lead to failure in the more expensive fluid filled front engine mount, and eventually the more difficult to reach rear engine mount. Since this short, relatively inexpensive and easily replaced engine brace keeps the engine from moving excessively under load, when worn could also accelerate wear on the flexible section of the exhaust, hence the suggestion to check it.

Reply to
Daniel