Honda quality vs. Toyota?

Threaded View

First of all, I've never ever driven a Honda, so I cannot speak from
any experience.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of say a Honda Accord vs. the
Camry?

I've heard my co-workers say something about Hondas needing a "valve
job" around every 100,000 miles, but I could be wrong...

Re: Honda quality vs. Toyota?

Both are good. Honda is an interference engine. If the timing belt
breaks you may destroy the engine. Toyota has very few belted engines
that are interference type.

Re: Honda quality vs. Toyota?

Honda's got a belt, not a chain?

Re: Honda quality vs. Toyota?

Yep.

Re: Honda quality vs. Toyota?

Actually a lot of the new engines are interference. The newer 3MZ-FE
(Camry, Solara, Sienna) is interference and blet-driven, as is the 2UZ-FE
(Tundra). Everything else right now is a chain. I think. Someone will
probably correct me if I'm wrong.

Re: Honda quality vs. Toyota?

Hard to believe, but true -- onehappymadman@yahoo.com typed:

Those were the two vehicles it came down to when my wife and I were
test driving for our next car back in the fall of '04. There were four
reasons we chose the Camry:

1. Quieter -- but just barely so

2  Fit -- sitting in the Camry just felt more natural to us

3. Price -- Toyota had fixed pricing; no dickering required

4. Salesman -- Arlynn Ness at Toyota of Rochester (MN) is the BEST

The overall quality, drive-ability and feel of the cars were pretty
much a dead heat. The Accord had a performance edge until we test
drove the Camry SE model with the bigger V6. Maybe next time we'll
choose an Accord . . . or a completely different car 'cause we're
keeping the Camry at least ten years . . . .

-Don
--
"Ladies and gentlemen take my advice.
Pull down your pants and slide on the ice."

Re: Honda quality vs. Toyota?

I have driven both but older ones and not the latest models. I felt
Accord was more sportier with better suspension but a lil bit louder
inside the car. Camry on the other hand has very soft suspension but
more quiter inside. So better handling in case of Accord. Also Camry is
slightly bigger I mean the trunk. I have a 1999 Camry but my next
purchase will be Accord or something else unless Camry hybrid is just
too good to resist. Also I didnt like the look of camrys ie 2000-2006
models. But the latest 2007 camry looks a lot better. Acoord on the
other hand looks much better almost all the models....
Anyways looks are a personal preference. Good luck with the decision
because I know it can be a difficult one. Ciao!!!!

Re: Honda quality vs. Toyota?

We have both in our family. My son has an '04 Camry SE 2.4 engine. I have
an '04 Accord EX with a 2.4 engine. Both engines are chain driven double
overhead cam engines. Both cars are absolutley trouble free in 2 and a
half years of driving. Performance is very close on these cars, But my son
and I both agree my Honda holds a very slight handling edge. But, it is
also a little noisier. As far as a Honda needing a valve job at 100,000
miles--- I dont think so. I think it is a matter of preference rather than
if one is better than the other. Both are excellent cars and both will last
a long time.
  Scott

Re: Honda quality vs. Toyota?

zonie, 3/31/2006, 10:24:12 AM,

Which one is the better people carrier?  That is what they were
designed for, right?

Re: Honda quality vs. Toyota?

If you want the people carrier to be extra safe, go with the Honda for
better handling.  If you don't care if you lose control some day but prefer
quiet, buy the Toyota.

Re: Honda quality vs. Toyota?

Art, 3/31/2006, 3:17:41 PM,

I want to know about comfort and ergonomics, not handling.

Why do you continue to stay in the Toyota newsgroups, Art?  Are you a
nobody in the Honda forums?

Re: Honda quality vs. Toyota?

Art speaks from experience, he lost control, soiled his pants in his wife's
Toyota and she's never let him forget it. The quiet part is when she gets
tired of screaming in his ear-hole.

Re: Honda quality vs. Toyota?

Lose control in the Toyota? I wonder in what type of vehicle yo mama lost
control, 9 months before you were born?

Re: Honda quality vs. Toyota?

A buddy has an old Accord.  It has around 250k on it.  It probably needs
some engine work now.

Re: Honda quality vs. Toyota?

Friend of mine bought a new Accord. According to him it was just about
a toss up but he thought the Honda had a "sportier" feel, as opposed
to the Camry which felt more sedan like.

Re: Honda quality vs. Toyota?

My wife and I just drove both, and the VW Passat as well.
The Accord looked like it was put together well.  The I4 was pretty gutless
when entering the freeway, however.  The suspension was stiffer than the
Camry.  The stiffness contributed a bit to the noisier sensation in  the
Accord.

The Camry had a better ride as far as we were concerned.  It was quiet and
very smooth.  We didn't push the I4, but suspect it is little better than
the
Honda as far as guts.  It did not come with the leatherette interior, as did
the
Honda, and that is something my wife prefers.  It will cost a couple of
grand
to get the leather option.

Both of the cars were of exceptional quality, but to our taste, the Camry
was the
winner.

The Passat really appealed to me more than either of the above.  There were
several
little items that appealed to us, like the temperature controlled
compartment, the
locking system with two security levels, as well as the trunk space and
locks.
And it came with leatherette at a good price.  The turbocharged I4 was
a freaking giantkiller.  Mileage up to the mid 30 mpg range, and screaming
performance when you get into the accelerator.

The on-dash MGP meter may not have been accurate but was helpful.
 The only reason I wouldn't buy the Passat is that it has a reputation
of being a bit less dependable and troublefree than the ricers.

A turbocharged Camry ought to be a formidable machine.

Re: Honda quality vs. Toyota?

Every one should buy at least one VW before they die so they know how
unreliable a car can really be.  I kept mine 4 months.

Re: Honda quality vs. Toyota?

New???

Re: Honda quality vs. Toyota?

I have had two Passats earlier...Both were purchased new.  Both were
exceptionally
good cars and never gave a moment's trouble.  However, I have heard from
other
owners that they have agonized under VW ownership.

Recent reports claim that the Hyundai Azera is a budget 'Lexus'.  I haven't
considered a Hyundai, probably because of the low reputation that they had.

Has anyone tried out the Azera?

Re: Honda quality vs. Toyota?

I heard the Hyundai Sonata is recommended by Consumer Reports.

The later versions, not the ones before say 2002.

Still, the Sonata costs almost as much as a Camry...

Site Timeline