Labor charges for timing belt, water pump

I finally bit the bullet and got the timing belt replaced on my '90 Camry (67K miles). The Toyota dealer had a special, so it cost 199.95. When I called the dealer beforehand and asked about doing the water pump, they said they'd inspect it then make a recommendation based on its condition. While in the shop, they called and recommending replacing it, the thermostat, and the oil seals. When I asked if they'd tested the water pump, they said they really couldn't. This gave the whole thing a kind of bait-and-switch feel, but from my research it seemed like a good idea to replace the pump. Everything I'd read indicated that, when they're doing the timing belt, the incremental labor cost to do the pump isn't high. Actually, this turned out not to be true. During the phone call, the labor cost vs. the part cost wasn't clear from the Toyota service guy, but here are the numbers from my invoice. This is from a Toyota dealership in northern New Jersey: Job #1: Timing belt 38.00; Labor 161.95. The 199.95 price also included the drive belt. This was a monthly special. Cost is 81% labor. (By the way, when I asked about the condition of the timing belt, the guy said, "Well, [hem haw] it's worn. It's stretched somewhat.") Job #2: Water pump 115.48; Thermostat 17.00; Gasket 5.26; Labor

130.50. Cost is 49% labor. Job #3: Seal 8.80; Seal 8.66; Seal 10.00; Labor 87.00. Cost is 76% labor. Anyway, I'm suffering from sticker shock. And either the conventional wisdom about the incremental labor costs being low is false, or the dealer transferred some of the savings from the timing belt replacement price to the other work. BK
Reply to
BK

Do you go anywhere? Let us know when you want to sell this car.

That price seems reasonable. All the coupons I get from the dealer are that price also. I did manage to get mine changed for 149.95 about six months ago for the 94 Camry.

The dealer has inspected the water pump both times the timing belt has been replaced and left it alone. Whether this is because he wants more labor charges from me later or truly found it to be good is anyone's opinion. I have 160,000 miles on that vehicle now.

Reply to
badgolferman

Your post has two -disturbing- revelations:

1) "I don't know how much parts cost, I simply assumed... " 2) "So I guess... "

You need to get clear on:

A) the price on a water pump replacement ONLY, part / labor. B) the price on timing belt replacement ONLY, parts / labor.

There is some labor time savings when doing a cam belt and water pump at the same time. This varies from engine to engine however. You didn't mention if your engine was a four or a V6.

--

- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM

In news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, BK being of bellicose mind posted:

Reply to
Philip®

I don't know if the original poster is making accurate assumptions or not in this particular instance. That being said, The dealership noted, and their predecessor, have a reputation in the area (northern Bergen County, NJ) for chicanery on the sales floor and what borders on fraud in the service department. My first hand experience with them has been most disappointing in both areas. FWIW YMMV DFB

Reply to
D F Bonnett

A) Gasket, 5.26; Water pump, 115.48; Thermostat, 17.00. LABOR, 130.50 B) Belt, 38.00. LABOR 161.95. Note that there was a dealer special on the timing belt: 199.95 for parts and labor combined. Toyota of Hackensack charges for labor at a rate of $88/hour.

4-cylinder, 1990 Camry. So, what do you think now? BK

Reply to
BK

Boston area dealers have a special (always in force!) of $199.95 for a timing belt. $72/hr for service. (My doctor charges less!)

Reply to
William W. Plummer

In news:oiTdc.2793$wP1.7037@attbi_s54, William W. Plummer being of bellicose mind posted:

Your doctor charges more. A routine office visit is $90-$115 for about 20 minutes of his time. I go monthly ... I see the bill.

--
- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

In news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, BK being of bellicose mind posted:

Using your price listing, you would have indeed been gouged had the bill been 468.19.

--
- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

So next time have your doctor fix your car.

"William W. Plummer" wrote:

Reply to
ZZonka Tonka

Would I been correctly assuming the seals in question are the crankshaft, oil pump, and camshaft seals? Whose payroll is this "advisor" on? Certainly NOT yours. FIRE his ass! Otherwise, bend over and go three for three!

--

- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM

BK wrote:

Reply to
Philip®

While my "adviser" and Toyota of Hackensack screwed me royally on this work, I'll know better for some other things. My "adviser" said I need these additional things done:

  1. Fix oil leaks at valve cover gasket and distributor O ring. Their cost: 4
  2. Replace front axle boots. Their cost: 6
  3. Replace worn control arm bushing. Their cost: 7

Any idea about how much these things should really cost? The front axle boots sound serious.

BK

Reply to
BK

Call another Toyota dealer, perferably in a neighboring STATE!

--
- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

Reply to