What grade of Chevron?

Just got a new 03 Camry XLE V6. I use Chevron gas. Of the three grades of chevron gas, the owners manual seems to suggest that the lowest grade is ok. I'm sure if I use premium that I'll get somewhat better performance but how much better? Will the low grade do any harm??? All opinions and suggestions welcomed....

begin 666 confused.gif M1TE&.#EA#P`6`-4_`,.]=?GQE?#HD/_XH=++?O_WF_'JD>;?BL[(?.KCC,?! M=__XJ__[Q__[RO_\W-7.@/_YL?_YL-W6A/_[TOKREO_WG=_8AO_\U?WUF/_\ MV?_YM?_XHO_[SO_ZO?_ZN__XI^[GC__XI?3MD_;ND__ZP/_[QLK#>>GBC/[V MF/_\V/_[RO_ZO/_YM/_XJO_XH__YK][7A?_\T__\U^':A__ZPO_ZO__W MF?_\W?_XJ/STE_;NE/_\V\&[= ```*2DI"'Y! $``#\`+ `````/`!8```:E MP-_/)Q02B\>A4GDD)I?&(O1)E5JOTBH2R\7ZOE_NUY&:-$CAK /'NW!*GL@G MZ9ME,FZ&K96K4)H3,E\U'AI?% 9.# TJ7Q$N

Reply to
Jack

I have a 2002 Camry LE V6 and only use Premium fuel 91 or higher. My manual states "87 octane required. 91 octane or higher recommended for improved performance."

thus, 87 will work just fine but if you want the extra performance, then go with the 91+ octane.

suggestions

Reply to
XXXXX

If 87 octane is ok you will not get more from higher octane. Just wasting money. Higher octane is for higher compression engines and helps prevent 'ping' by slowing down the combustion. If you do not have a higher compression engine, the higher octane will not do a bit of good.

suggestions

Reply to
Dusty

What I recommend may be true based on a Camry V6. It's all depend on what type of engine you have, If your engine has near 10 compression ratio, then running with lower octane gas is OK. Some old engine that has low compression ratio about 9, then high octane does not do you any good.

Some newer engine has knock sensor that will change the ingnition timing to reduce knock at the expense of power but not many people would feel the difference. As the engine get older, it does not like lower octane due to deposit crap in the head.

Also, if you have to sit in traffic under 110F degree, type of fuel make big difference.

My Accord used to run OK with 89 in the summer. Now it is more happy with 91.

Just listen to the engine sing. It tells.

Reply to
DTT

Sorry DTT

I was away and did not see your response until now. I don't know if the Ford claim has been substantiated. If have had gas producers deny that this happens (As a journalist, I've interviewed them on this issues.) But Ford repeatedly has made this assertion in TSBs, advising dealers to tell motorists NOT to use high octane gasoline in Ford vehicles, all of which are designed for regular, I think. An exception of course would be older vehicles that suffer from octane creep and simply cannot be repaired. As vehicles age, octane requirements often go up for various reasons, including the build up of deposits in the cylinders. I bet modern cars are less prone to this.

I don't know how the EPA could be involved in this issue though.

Reply to
Anthony Giorgianni