Where is the coil on a '91 camry, or link it's service manual please?

I have a '91 camry that is refusing to start and I'm reasonably adept @ auto repair (I've done engine swaps, replaced rear ends, etc.) and so I've looked @ other posts about this situation (I'm reasonably sure it's an elec. problem) and want to test the ignition system but this is the 1st car I've worked on that doesn't seem to have a coil.

The distributor has 4 plug wires and that's it and I'm (ashamedly) baffled.

If someone would please give me some info on the ignition elec. layout for a '91 4 cyl. 2L EFI automatic I would GREATLY appreciate it!!!

A repair manual from toyota for this Gen 2 camry would be even better please.

Thank you folks! This camry (even though not exactly a bar burner) is a good reliable car w/ 178K mi. on it and I think it could easily go another

25K before I would wish to sell it if I can puzzle out this issue.

THANK YOU!

Reply to
squeezal

It is under the distributor, covered with the distributor cap that needs to be removed in order to reach it. You will have easier access by removing the air box. I didn't have any problems with the coil on my 91 yet, but I understand that it is a common problem that very often can be cured by just cleaning the coil and the contacts. You can read more at

Also you can look at:
ignition system for the non-California model is pretty similar to the5SFE (page 22 and after)

Reply to
bauz

I found some Gen3 PDF scans of ignition (on toyotanation.com) and the 2L ignition looks like mine. I'v just never had a car that bundles the coil in the distributor cap (I'm a gen2 VW scirocco person).

My need for the manual is no longer dire, but it would still be GREATLY appreciated if someone could point me to a link!

Thank you for your indulgence.

Reply to
squeezal

Its under the dist cap, clean it first since replacing it means removing the distributor. You have checked and are getting no spark at the plugs.

Reply to
m Ransley