1983 toyota pickup

I have purchased a 83 toyota pickup with no eng. I already own a 89

4runner. I want to install my fuel inj eng into my 83 pickup. Can I make this work by using the computer from the 4runner? also, the 4runner is auto. The pickup is manual. I want to keep it manual. If this is at all possible, how do I get the fuel to the eng? If there is anyone out there who can help me, it will be greatly appreciated. I have exactly 1 month to get this all sorted out. Need wheels. Thank-you!
Reply to
mad7777777

ECUs are engine specific, for ease of install use the standard motor that that car came with from the factory.

Given your position and a bit of cash Id be sticking something in with a bit of extra poke though, depends if the bodies any good of course.

Reply to
Scotty

I know that the Ecm's are eng specific. That's why I am keeping the ecm with its original eng. However, I want to take that whole set up and install it in my 1983 pickup. Just wondered if maybe there was someone out there that could be a little helpful with a little direction as to what I might be getting into. I am going to do the swap regardless. The 4runner has to come off the road. take to much money to make it safe for the road. again, Thank-you.

Reply to
mad7777777

OK... first off it isn't the easiest thing to do... The fact that you are wondering how the fuel would get to the motor leads me to believe that you do not have the mechanical prowess to undertake a project like this.. No offense, just trying to let you know that before hand so you don't get in the middle of a project that never gets finished, and doesn't cost you an arm and a leg to have finished.. EVERYTHING that involves the motor from the 4Runner will have to be swapped into the pickup including but not limited to Motor, and all external components of the motor such as intake manifold, exhaust manifold, injectors, all the obvious stuff.. Is the 4Runner a 22re or the 3.0? Since they didn't make the 3.0 back in 1983, the motor mounts may be different, but I'm not sure since I've never played with a 3.0.. The whole fuel system on a fuel injected motor is high pressure, so in order to swap it over.. you'll need to swap the gas tank, fuel pump, and all gas lines from the

4Runner to the pickup.. The Fuel lines in the pickup now are meant for a low pressure fuel system 5-7psi and cannot handle the pressure from a fuel injected setup.. The ECM will have to be swapped, and the entire wiring harness including all sensors.. ie Oxygen sensors, MAF, TPS, all vacuum lines, and the harness will need to be spliced into the existing truck wiring.. This is not an extremely easy Project.. I've done many swaps, Currently in process of swapping a 4.3L Vortec into my 86' truck.. and if I were you, I'd throw another carburated 22r in.. it would save you from many headaches, and everything is already there for that motor.. If power is your problem, then use a little money and make it breath, header, Carb and intake.. Hope this helps.. Ian

Reply to
EasyE

I myself put in an 85 22re motor from my Celica in my 83 pickup. It was my first swap and surprisingly it was pretty easy. My advice is to get wiring diagrams for your 4runner and if you cannot read them I would suggest you not undertake this or get someone else to help you.

Reply to
cunning linguist

Thankyou "EasyE"

Reply to