Replacing Fuel Filter in 1999

Does anyone know how often one needs to replace the fuel filter in a 1999

4Runner - 2.7?

I have heard that the fuel filters needed to be replaced every 60 K miles. But, I also heard that it never needs to be replaced unless there is a problem with it.

-J.

Reply to
Luis Valdez

It depends on the quality of fuel you are putting into your tank. If you are buying cheap gas, ARCO or Valero, probably every 50k if you are burning Chevron or Mobil probably longer.

Reply to
Tony

If you always buy fuel from reputable filling stations that don't allow garbage into the fuel, the filters will last a lifetime - start worrying at about 200K.

If you are in a rural area where you're filling from a farm tank or drums, and sometimes dumping in gas from cans, all of which may allow dirt into the system, 60K might not be a bad idea.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Thanks to everyone that replied.

-J.

Reply to
Joe

I live in Houston and by Shell. I have to replace my fuel filter every year.

Reply to
Brad Taylor

Necessity of fuel filter replacement couldn't have anything to do with the condition of the tanks of the local stations you normally buy gas from. No way, no how...

Think about it. Some stations have older tanks, dirty pipes, they don't change pump filters often, or all of the above. All of this is really hard to tell from the outside. The brand name over the station probably has little to do with it.

I've had occasions where I had a vehicle that ran great, and ONE tank later I needed to change the filter, as it became totally undriveable.

Reply to
Bonehenge

Ahh, you bring up a good point about stations not changing their filters or regular maintenance on their systems. But if you think about the big name stations will have a regularly scheduled maintenance system in place where the off brand names and your mom and pops may not. Again the station you buy your fuel from HAS EVERYTHING to do with it... I know that the Union 76 where I get my gas is on a regular schedule as I see them change the filters quite often. Unfortunately it is usually when I am driving into get gas.

Reply to
Tony