1992 Pickup Brake Service Help!!!

My 1992 22RE Standard cab 4x4 brakes appears to be making the wear-indicator noise. This metallic scratchy noise disappears when I step on the brakes. Odometer is at 77,xxx miles. I purchased this vehicle used at 36,xxx miles.

Nonetheless, the sound seems to come from the rear driver-side drum brakes! Do the rear drum brakes also come with this wear-indicator noise maker?

Even with this noise, the brakes are sensitive, quick, and responsive. I barely touch the brake pedal and the brakes come on. I suspect this comes more from the front disc brakes rather than the rear drum brakes.

I am a weekend mechanic with some mechanical skills (not great but about average). I've replaced the radiator, and alternator on this pickup before.

So my questions are:

  1. Should I replace the rear drum brake shoes myself, or have it done by a shop? I've replaced shoes on an older 1982 Datsun drum brakes before many years back. Had drum brake tools then but not anymore.

I decided to do it myself because the last time I had a shop replace the brake drum shoes, the braking was uneven. It took careful driving and braking over many hundred miles before it evened out. When I did it myself, I adjusted the shoes so that braking is even from the start.

  1. Should I also replace the front disc brake pads?

  1. The manuals I've read so far talk about bleeding the brake lines. I've never done this before. Is this fairly easy to do or not? Is it necessary?

  2. What tools should I rent or buy to do the job for a Toyota pickup?

  1. Are there brake drum replacement kits that come with the usual E or C clips and springs that may need to be replaced?

I don't want to remove the wheels, drum, and find out I need more parts from the store! This is my only vehicle.

  1. Any website with pictures showing in detail what I should do in step by step fashion?

I've seen a picture showing how to remove the brake drum retaining screws. But it is so unclear I couldn't even see the retaining screws referred to!

Any tips for me on tackling the job? I've not done any drum brake work for so long and never on a Toyota that I consider myself totally ignorant.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Chris

Reply to
Chris

No. It sounds like something may be loose in there. I would get it looked at before it really becomes a problem.

I doubt that. It sounds like you have a problem with the rear brakes.

It depends. Can you do the job yourself ? Do you have the tools ? Since no one knows what you are capable of it's hard to answer your question.

You should have brought it back to the shop who did the work and have them fix it. Or ouy could have adjusted them yourself.

Do they need replacing ? That would be the only reason to replace them.

If you have never bled brakes before I would say don't do it. It is relatively easy but it you can run into problems if you don't know what you are doing.

Is it

No. It is only neccesary when the hydralic system has been opened, such as when replacing a master cylinder or a caliper.

The tools you need but don't have. Not trying to be a smart ass but it's hard to tell what tools you have from here.

There are several levels of "kits" for the rear brake parts, depends on what parts you need.

Then you need to take the drum off and inspect the brakes BEFORE you make a trip to the store. This way you will know what parts are needed.

A manual for your truck may be a better option.

?????? Maybe you shouldn't be messing with the brakes !!

Yes, take it to a competent mechanic if you are unsure of your abilities. A brake job may seem like a simple task, and it usually is, but if you don't know what you are doing and your brakes fail it could kill you !!

Reply to
Mike

Thanks Mike! Some wise advice in there. So I am being cautious and give myself another week to see if I can manage to get the knowledge and confidence necessary to do the work, besides getting the tools.

Then I'll decide to take it to a shop or do it myself...

And if DIY,...

Yes, I'll have to look in there first before I remove anything so I can still drive the thing and get to the store to buy the parts if I need to.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

When it comes to brakes - I never like to put it off another week! Could be just brake dust or sand in rear drums. All you nee to doo is take off the rear wheels and brake drums and hose the brakes down. Ther is special spray on brake cleaner for this. Only tools needed are jack, lug nut wrench, few bricks to put on both sides of the front wheels - since you must have the meergency brake off to get the drums off. A 10mm(?) bolt and rubber/lead hammer is also useful if the drum is stuck on. There is a threaded hole for the bolt to push the drum off.

Reply to
Wolfgang

I don't think your '92 has the retaining screws.

Reply to
Jeff

Thanks Jeff. Your info and Wolfgang's info re the 10mm(?) push-off threaded hole give me a better feel for what's up ahead.

Before this, I've been thinking on and off about these mystery retaining screws I have yet to see!

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Very helpful info! Thanks Wolfgang! I will have a look asap.

Some people on another site mentioned that their Toyota's are into the

100,xxx miles and still have drum shoe left. Could this be possible? I don't drive my 1992 pickup hard and at 77,xxx miles so far, shouldn't I still have lots of shoe pad left as well?

Thanks!

Chris

Reply to
Chris

The rear brakes usually last more than 100,000 miles. If they are worn prematurely you may want to check the operation of your parking brake cables at the rear brakes. It is not uncomon for the levers inside the brake drum to seize up due to corrosion.

Reply to
Mike

Did not occur to me...Thanks for the tip. I will check that angle of it too when I do what you advised earlier which is to open it up and just have a look, to see what parts I might need before I venture to take it apart.

Thank you very much Mike.

Chris

Reply to
Chris