Buying New 4Runner

I'm getting ready to replace my '99 Explorer with a new 4Runner. Thinking of a V6 Limited. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Reply to
Big Shoe

Yes one go with the V8!

Reply to
CDEWITT Webtv.net

We've an 03 SE V6. Plenty of power. And much more sophisticated than the present iteration of the V8.

31,000 miles so far and completely dependable.

Reply to
Bob H

V8 Is a PROVEN Engine with a five speed Automatic more Torque smoother power and beter performance. While the V6 whines on takeoff the V8 Growls! C

Reply to
CDEWITT Webtv.net

The 4.0 V6 has variable valve timing and chain driven instead of belt drive in the V8. The oil filter in the V6 is so easy to reach, while replacing the oil filter on the V8 requires you taking off the skid plate. What a pain.

So the V6 is easier the maintain than the V8. But when the sophisticate valve timing system starts giving you trouble, you may think differently. The V8 is a well proven engine, probably the most reliable one out there.

The V8 tows my 3000 lbs trailer like a dream. I test-drove both vehicles, only could noticed that when I stepped on the pedal, the V8 accelerate much smoother than the V6.

Reply to
DTT

I have as stated earlier the V6 in the 03; I also have the V8 in an 02 Tundra. I find the V6 a more efficient engine, which by the seat of the pants delivers more power over a wider band than the V8. The V6 feels much more focused on generating consistent power: wherever you are in the rpm range, you always know what's next. And frankly, put a foot in it and it hauls butt with unexpected enthusiasm and marked ability. No regretful feelings of " I wish it had more power": its just got plenty on tap, all the time. The engine is definitely a winner, and Toy will be using it in the '05 Taco in various forms.

I find the acceleration of the V6 smoother than the V8 thanks to its broad powerband. You gotta be near 3,000 rpms before the V8 wakes up, and then the surge comes, whereas the V6 is much more linear and has more bollocks at lower rpm's.

I used to tow a 3,000 pound trailer with a 4 cylinder Isuzu Trooper II without problems. My bro-in-law tows one with a T100 he bought used, and has never had an issue.

The Tundra feels lethargic under ~2,800 rpms, and while it winds up nicely to the redline and beyond, the engine really needs to be bigger in order to handle the weight of the truck. Higher compression and VVT would work wonders here even without a displacement increase, along with some crisper shifting from the automatic. While the V8 may be bullet-proof, the V6 is likely so also. Please note that VVT is not likely to ever give trouble. And the V6 is fuel-efficient also: 19mpg daily highway average mileage with cruise bursts to 85 mph. Not bad for such a heavy vehicle driven by heavy feet. The Tundra consistently gets about 17.5 on regular grade, which I think is excellent given the weight of the truck. And yes there is nothing sweeter than the sound of the four-cam V8 winding up! If only those sweet sounds translated more efficiently into forward motion (more actual thrust, not just the sound of it).

If I were to get another Toy V8 I would be waiting for VVT and other efficiency and power upgrades. Other manufacturers offer them and there is no justifiable excuse for Toyota to be so far behind the curve this late in the game. Just my opinions and observations based on experiences to date.

Reply to
Bob H

My V8 4Runner hauls ass off the line and as I said I drove both the V6 and V8 The V8 is the Superior Motor and as I Said a Proven motor. Also the oil filter really is not that bad 4Bolts and the pan slides off Again while your V6 Whines and has a four speed auto The V8 Growls and has a 5 speed Auto. Smoother and better is the V8. Very near Future engine will be a 5.4 V8 With VVTI C

Reply to
CDEWITT Webtv.net

Also the V8 4Runner will have much better resale in Three Years! Spend the Extra $ and get the 8! C

Mine 03 4Runner V8 Limited Silver! Loaded to the Balls a Show vehicle!

Reply to
CDEWITT Webtv.net

That 5hp is bullshit a V8 upgrade chip gives you about 20more hp My Kn n filter gives you 6 more hp

5Hp big deal the V8 is the superior Drive train again the V6 Whines and the V8 Growls 4spd or 5spd HMMMM whats better! all Aluminum engine or a Cast Iron Block HMMM????? Proven engine or a test motor? HMMM????

The Next motor will be better than the 4.7 V8

5.4 V8 with VVTI
Reply to
CDEWITT Webtv.net

Actually, the V6 is superior. Easier and less expensive to work on, more HP, better mileage, lower cost. Sizes are inherently balanced motors. I suppose if you are actually doing something that needs the torque. I could see the V8. If you are just posing with a "Show car" then perhaps the money would be better spent elsewhere.

Reply to
4x4

Resale value is based on gas price. At current price, not sure V8 will get you more resale value.

No need for the V8 if you don't plan to pull more than 3500 lbs up long hill and under hot climate like me.

The 4Runner is only 4400 lbs vehicle. The V8 is indeed overkilled. Keep in mind that gas price will not under $2/gallon forever.

Reply to
DTT

Actually you are wrong! the MPG is one mile difference on the sticker Actually you are wrong again the V6 is not a proven motor and the V8 comes with a speed automatic I think if the lexus Division thought the 6 was better you would see the Whinny GXV6 four speed auto But you dont do you????

Reply to
CDEWITT Webtv.net

Resale is definitely higher with a V8 Check your book!

Reply to
CDEWITT Webtv.net

You now have so many opinions about V6 vs V8 I'm not sure anyone remembers the original question. How do you plan to use your 4Runner and what is your budget? I just bought a '99 4Runner (Highlander Option Package) with 99,000 miles and use it to tow 3,500# boat and trailer with the V6 and find it adequate. No question the V8 would handle the towing job better because of the greater torque. The HP is nearly the same because of the greater torque.

As for the limited, go for it if the chrome "limited" emblem and leather seats are important to you. I have the SR5 with every option and then some as the limited, but not the leather or power seats. If I was to buy a new one, I would opt for the Sport Edition.

I almost bought a used Explorer and I am so glad I did not.

Reply to
David Krump