oil leaking on engine head

I have a 95 toyota pickup 22R-E

oil seems to be leaking from 3 of the 4 bolts on the top of the engine. (I'm not sure what the proper name is). two sit next to the oil filter cap and the other two are on the opposite end of the engine.

on my most recent oil change, i was told that oil was leaking and my valve needs to be replaced. I don't know the specific parts but I was quoted that parts & labor for a the item circled is "valve gasket". It would come to $195. Now I'm beginning to understand that this is a difficult job for a beginner requiring engine removal. Is this correct?

I would appreciate any pointers for better diagnosing the problem, as I'm not sure what exactly which valve it is or if its all the valve components. I would also appreciate any possible ideas on a remedy for the leak.

Thank you.

-= Get GrabIt for free from

=-

Reply to
jodenesparks

"jodenesparks" sez:

(I'm not sure what the proper name is). two sit next to the oil filter cap and the other two are on the opposite end of the engine.

needs to be replaced. I don't know the specific parts but I was quoted that parts & labor for a the item circled is "valve gasket". It would come to $195. Now I'm beginning to understand that this is a difficult job for a beginner requiring engine removal. Is this correct?

No, what needs replacing is the valve cover gasket. You seem to have that mixed up with replacing the valves ...

not sure what exactly which valve it is or if its all the valve components.

All that entails is removing the cover by removing those 4 bolts, taking the old gasket material out, cleaning out the oil/crud from the gasket channel, putting new gasket in with perhaps a bit of RTV sealer and bolting the cover back on.

Good wrenchin' to ya, VLJ

Reply to
vlj

Reply to
Bill Hall

not sure what the proper name is). two sit next to the oil filter cap and the other two are on the opposite end of the engine.

Those nuts hold the valve cover on. I'd start by making sure they are tightened properly.... they may be too loose.

needs to be replaced. I don't know the specific parts but I was quoted that parts & labor for a the item circled is "valve gasket". It would come to $195. Now I'm beginning to understand that this is a difficult job for a beginner requiring engine removal. Is this correct?

As someone mentioned ... parts(a valve cover gasket) won't cost that much. You do have to move a bunch of hoses etc and make sure they get put back on properly. Bribe a mechanic friend to come help and you'll know how to do it next time ... and maybe he/she will share the pizza and beer.

sure what exactly which valve it is or if its all the valve components.

Reply to
JeB

THAT SHOULD BE YOUR VALVE COVER , & THE BOLTS THAT HOLD IT DOWN TIGHT. TRY TIGHTNING THEM DOWN 1ST, SEE IF THAT STOPS THE LEAK. THE PVC VALVE SITS ON TOP, AND CAN LEAK WHEN PLUGGED,4$ TO REPLACE. BUT IF TIGHTNING DOESN'T STOP THE LEAK, THERE'S A GASKET THAT CRACKS AND WILL LEAK UNDER COVER.YOU MAY WANT TO BUY A BOOK, THEN TAKE APART AND REPLACE THE VALVE COVER GASKET. THE BOOK WILL PAY FOR IT'S SELF MANY TIMES OVER & OVER. GOOD LUCK , CHAZ

Reply to
chazy