Question regarding 12V power outlet

Hi,

We owe a '03 RAV4 which has a 12V outlet near the hand-brake that is switched over the ignition key. We would like to be able to use the outlet even when the ignition is switched off. Can anyone tell us whether that is a fairly simple task to achieve and how to do it?

Thanks in advance,

Reply to
wpostuma

It is a reasonably simple task. You need to gain acces to the back of whatever the power outlet is attached to, then find a Constant Hot that you can splice into. You do need to be conscious of the power requirements of the outlet, and the power provided by the wire you splice into.

Since you are powering what is essentially a cigarette lighter, we should assume a significant load from time to time. You should find the load rating of the outlet now, and use the appropriate weight wire to connect a new circuit from either the fuse block if you know how, or from the battery -- the battery is easier, the fuse block is more elegant if you can do it. Be sure to use an in-line fuse that is rated for the potential loading.

They (the aftermarket) make Aux Power Outlets that use large aligator clips that are reasonably easy to clamp onto the battery posts. If you are travelling, and want the powered outlet for the trip, but don't need it on a day-by-day basis, then this is probably the better way to go. You lift the hood, connect the clips and route the wire to the passenger compartment, and drive happy. When done, simply reverse the process. The upside is that you only have to worry about drains on the system during your trip, you don't need to worry during your normal life.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

"Jeff Strickland" found these unused words:

Better to use a self-resetting circuit breaker. You can get 10, 15 and 20 amp (more?) for under $10. Mount to the firewall IN the engine, then run into the outlet.

I've run my towing controller and trailer 'power' that way. OTW, they're unprotected except for a big 'inline' semi-waterproof, fuse holder.

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien