remove "powerpoint" outlet?

OK, for $35M they don't give you a cigarette lighter with your Mustang.......got tired of looking at that cheap "power point" plug in the dash, so ordered the smoker's set ($98 for a plastic cup, lighter and outlet to replace the powerpoint - since the crafty devils made it a different size).

so - anybuddy have a trick for getting the original outlet out of the das?. the instructions say to call the company that makes the smokers set to get the special tool to remove the powerpoint = I called and they want $27 + shipping.

they don't make it ez for you - and you sure don't get much for your money these days.......for what the car cost, you'd think ya might get a light in the glove compartment - and that isn't even available as an add-on......geeees.

Reply to
From Punoneboi

at 04 Apr 2006, From Punoneboi [ snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net] wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3254.bay.webtv.net:

Mine's got the radar detector plug in it so I don't worry. BTW, they are selling billet replacement plugs on eBay with eg a pony or 'eject' engraved on it. I'd get one of those if I wasn't using mine...

Reply to
Paul

I don't think I'm going to be much help because I simply got a heating element [ whatever the thing is you plug into the powerpoint outlet] for $25 and it has the heating/lighting coil in it.

I don't smoke but hubby does. I have a nice insert type ashtray we put in one of the cup holders.

Don't know what kind of car you have but this applies to an 04 Mach 1.

Reply to
Sarah Czepiel

I never heard of it being a different size. My 99 powerpoint took a standard Ford Cig Lighter with no problem.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

well, you've heard of it now! the owner's manual is full of warnings not to try and put a lighter in one of the power points (there's one in the dash and one in the console).....Like you, thought I would just put a lighter in the socket - but they are larger than any standard size lighter.......so they anticipated us trying to save the $98.

another oddity: opened up the smoker's set.....an "authorized accessory" from an outisde supplier......little brochure in 5 languages but just drawings, no explanation of how the removal tool works. BUT it does tell you to DISCONNECT THE BATTERY before attempting to remove........dumb me, I took the fuse out instead......sort of thought I'd like to leave the power on to the electronics since the car owners manual also explains how the transmission, automatic window drops, clock, radio, etc.etc will lose their memory if battery is disconnected. guess the approved supplier didn't get the memo.

likewise, my dealer doesn't have the tool or know what to do. wonder why Ford sales are down!!!!!!

Reply to
From Punoneboi

Huh. In my 98 it was not equipped with a smokers group, and a ligher fit it easily. most plugs for AC adapters are designed to fit a lighter socket.

On my TJ it has a power point AND a lighter outlet, they appear to be the same size but one is key activated the other is on all the time.

Kate

2OlllllllO6 Rubicon
Reply to
Kate