Re: '92 3.0 4x4 rear end question.....

I have a gear oil leak from the differential housing. Does this take a gasket

>or is it just silicone sealed? I can't find a reference on it. BTW, the vent is >NOT clogged, and axle bearings don't leak & I tried tightening the bolts >already. > >The Chilton manual doesn't help much. Can I remove yoke cover without pulling >the axles if I remove the rear universal mount from the pinion shaft? > >Thanks in advance, > >Mike

There is a paper gasket. I did this same repair a few years ago and have yet to have a leak using the paper gasket. I sprayed both sides of the gasket with head gasket sealer (The copper stuff from PermaTex) before I put it back together.

There's no need to remove brake lines or e-brake cables when you do this fix Loosen the e-brake cable at the adjuster in the middle of the truck all the way.

Take all the clips off the rear axle that hold the hard lines for the brakes and you'll have enough play to pull the axles out the 2" or so you need to remove the 3rd member. You don't even need to remove the brake drums this way. :)

I think it took me about an hour and a half to do the entire job - piece of cake.

Reply to
skiddz *AT* adelphia *DOT* net