Removing the Turd?

I have 2 questions.

  1. What is the best way to remover the TRD decal from my truck. I hate decals anyway but this one is particularly offensive. I can't believe one has to pay extra for it.

  1. My truck has a 110 VAC outlet in the bed. Is this powered by an inverter or does it draw the 110v directly from the alternator.

TIA

Jay Cups

Reply to
JayCups

You can remove the decal by heating it with a hair dryer or heat gun. Once you get it hot the glue will soften and it will peel right off. If you use a heat gun be careful not to burn the paint.

I believe that uses an inverter.

Reply to
Mike

You may be able top just peel it off, slowly and carefully. May not be necessary, but a soft rag damped with kerosene will remove any residual glue without harming the paint finish. I removed 5 dealer advertisements from my truck, including a license-sized plate *inside* the truck bed. I should have told the dealer to remove all that crap else I wouldn't buy it. I live with the dealer's name on the truck mats, but at least I put my feet on them. No idea about the outlet.

Reply to
Phisherman

A heat gun and care.

The inverter. On my Tacoma, the inverter is located under the floor of the center console armrest. Some folks have added a second outlet inside the cab.

Reply to
B A R R Y

I used wd-40 to soften up the decal and clean away the residue.

Reply to
Jack Sloan

Thanks Guys for the quick responses.

Jay

B A R R Y wrote:

Reply to
JayCups

Hot air gun for teh decals and prepsol or spraying thinners for the residual glue. MAKE SURE THAT THE PAINT IS COLD BEFORE YOU APPLY ANY SOLVENTS TO IT!!!!!! If you do it while the paint is soft you may well remove the paint, colour and laquer coat.

Reply to
Scotty

A great demonstration on why starting with weaker solvents is usually a good idea.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Nah, prepsol is fantastic at removing the glue but only on cold paint work.

There is a Citris based product that Ive used to get old stickers off glass and paint work but I cant, ah yes I can, its called DeSolve It. Not sure where you get it around your neighbourhood but its orange oil based and works wonders with every day stickers (once you have only the glue left that is)

Its great for getting oil from your hands as well!

Reply to
Scotty

Again, what happens if the surface is warm?

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Warm is okay. Im mean if the paint is soft (Red is the worst) it can damage the paint. If you can use your fingernail to dent the paint its soft, if its in the sun its gunna be soft. Do it inside the garage and you will be fine. Preferably at night when cooler.

Reply to
Scotty

WD40. Let it soak and remove the decal. No harm to the paint either.

Reply to
grindi

Unless its an old hardened sticker then WD40 doesnt work sorry

Reply to
Scotty

Worked fine for me.

Reply to
Jack Sloan

I haven't been following along, but WD40 is perhaps the best thing to use to cut any kind of adhesive. WD40's best use is as a cleaner and loosener, but it sucks as a lubricant. So, when a part is made to operate properly, the WD40 must be cleaned off and replaced with a real lubricant.

As an adhesive cutter, WD40 works very well, and it will not normally harm automotive finishes.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

WD= Water Dispersant.

CRC5.56 is the best for penetrating sprays and lubricant.

Sorry folks, but when I tried WD40 for that purpose it sucked big time. Maybe it was the particular sticker that I was using it on. It was very old and sun hardened. Hot air gun to remove sticker then prepsol for remaining glue. Once that's all off polished straight away. Worked a treat

May try WD40 next time if you guys say it works fine. Anything to make the job easier I suppose. Esp when you have a whole vehicle covered in Vinyl sign writing to pull off some times

Reply to
Scotty

Well I got the TRD stickers off. I used a heat gun and heated the stickers slightly. They came off pretty easily. I then applied the WD-40. It didn't do squat on the sticky residue, I let it soak over night still nothing. Bought a bottle of Goo Off (The orange oil stuff.) That worked like a charm and had no effect on the paint. The truck looks 100% better now. 8^)

Thanks for everyone's help.

Jay

Scotty wrote:

Reply to
JayCups

Thanks for the feedback, I didn't think the WD-40 would work.

Reply to
Mike