2 Questions

I am a proud new owner of a '03 Cobra Vert - silver:

1) I can hear a sound coming from the center console area that sounds like the fan (i.e., heat, a/c) is always on (it's not) - what is this sound? I can hear this sound best at idle (is this the supercharger - I know it's not boosting, but is there a sound from it even @ idle)? Is this anything to worry about?

2) The dealership recommended Synthetic oil with the oil changes - is this necessary?

If these are novice questions, I apologize. TIA!

Reply to
Apu Devoumarche

Thanks. It doesn't sound like a whine. I can hear it best at idle when the engine is warm. I can hear it also with any kind of acceleration, too - it's not louder when I accelerate. It doesn't sound like the sound with the 03 "recall" issue to me, but I may be wrong. Car was built in 5/03.

Reply to
Apu Devoumarche
1.) I don't think you get any supercharger whine below *roughly* 2500rpm... nothing that audible anyway.. I could be wrong.. maybe below 2200RPM or so.. dunno. My friend's 03 Cobra when it was stock wouldn't make any noticeable supercharger whine below 2300RPM or 2400RPM... but when it hit higher RPM's... WHEW!! ;D

2.) Synthetic is always better.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset
  1. could be the supercharger. It gets prominent at around 2200, but it does it even when no boost is indicated on the gauge.

  1. Would not hurt.. also depends >1.) I don't think you get any supercharger whine below *roughly* 2500rpm...

Rein