What is the best way to get rid of cigarette smoke smell in convertible top?

I bought a used TT ragtop and it seems to have retained that cigarette smoke smell in the convertible top from the previous owner. Any suggestions for getting that "fresh" smell back again?

thanks

Reply to
Bob Charlap

Rent an upholstery cleaner, the type that sprays out liquid & sucks it back up. You can get smell removing agents for the inner headlining, don't wash the outer with it though!

Cheers

Nige

Reply to
The Incredible Swearing Man©

Can't think of the name, but there's a spray-on product that give a car that (carcinogenic!) "new car" smell. Best check places like the Auto Express site for product reviews..

Originally saw it reviewed in a (paper) magazine.. can't think which one, though.

HTH

Hairy One Kenobi

Disclaimer: the opinions expressed in this opinion do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the highly-opinionated person expressing the opinion in the first place. So there!

Reply to
Hairy One Kenobi

Drive with the hood down?!

:)

Reply to
AS

Febreeze. alternatively go to your local supermarket and buy a fridge odour remover.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Reply to
Bob Charlap

Bob,

There are some detail shops that have an ionizer. I am not sure how it works exactly but they run this machine in the car overnight and it breaks down the odors in the car. It apparently does not mask them but actually breaks them down. I haven't used it for cigarrette smoke but it is supposed to work well for that. I have aske a few dealers on how they handle it and that is what they use. I had it done to a car I was going to buy that some other smell in it. It got rid of the smell but I did not end up buying the car for other reasons. I am not sure if a rag top would affect how the machine is used - good luck. Tom Scanlon Account Executive Toshiba America Medical Systems Mpls., MN

Reply to
TJSCANLON

Here's one more.

I was in a Cadilac dealership once and saw this machine they were using to suck all the cigarette smell out of the car. It attached to the passenger window and just kept sucking all the air our of the car. I believe it had some type of ionized filter to remove the odor. The mechanics said it worked well.

ZP

Reply to
ZiggyPopp

Ionizers DO work wonders with odours such as cigarette smoke.

AFAIK there are some small ionizers that plug into the cigarette lighter so that they operate all the time. They also are good for "absorbing" micro-organisms and dust particles.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos