Towing with a Tacoma

I have a 2006 Tocama with the factory towing package. I am currently pulling a pop-up with no problem. Eventually I would like to move up to a hard side. My truck is rated at 6500 lbs towing capacity. The trailer specs are 3778 GVW, 541 hitch weight, and a length of 22' 5". Anyone here pulling a comparable size trailer? Comments? D.Williams

Reply to
DLW

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 13:37:38 -0500, DLW found these unused words floating about:

I'd only be concerned if the hitch weight was before (or altered by) loading the trailer with 'stuff'! That's a lot of weight out that far.

I pull 3K with an 02, 5K rated, but the tongue weight is under 300. Still causes a noticable sag in the rear, even with TRD heavier suspension.

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien

Coupl'a things...you'll need a weight distributing hitch and an electric trailer brake controller. I like the 600# "Equal-i-zer" brand hitch, 'cuz it has built in sway damping as well as weight distribution. $400

The so-called "towing capacity" is subject to the gross combined weight rating, the max the loaded truck and trailer combined can weight, the gross vehicle weight rating, the max the truck can weight including bed load, passengers, and tongue weight on the truck, and the rear axle weight rating.

The "towing capacity" also does not consider the truck's ability to control the trailer in case of heavy side winds, the air bow wave off a passing speeding semi, etc. All that said, you're likely OK with the rig you list when a good brake controller like the Tekonsha Prodigy (avoid the time based controllers) and a w/d hitch with sway damping.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton