Towing Package in 2012 Pilot

I went to pick up my boat this morning and found that Honda does not include a plug in for trailer light with it's towing package. I had to go back to the dealership and have them add the plug. What good is a towing package if you have not lights?????

Reply to
Pawalleye

Towing package probably is just the hitch or receiver plus a transmission cooler. While there is some standardization among electrical connections they are not completely universal. That's probably why it is not included, don't know which one you need in advance. I haven't had a tow capable vehicle in a number of years but back when I did, and had a trailer, I remember by GMC pickup came with a outlet that was different than my trailers plug so had to wire a new one in anyway.

Reply to
Seth

Don't know if Honda does it or not (maybe Pawalleye can advise) but it would seem that the smart solution would be to stub out some capped/sealed wires to the area of the receiver to make it an easy process to connect the appropriate lighting connector for your trailer.

Then again that might cut down on the dealer's profits.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

they don't just stub them, they even provide a quick-connect plug specifically for the purpose - trailer wiring has never been easier.

sounds to me like the dealer forgot.

Reply to
jim beam

When one purchases a vehicle that claims to have a towing package it should be complete. Why would anyone want a towing package that is not complete. Plus Hound covers up the hitch so you do not or can not see that it is imcomplete.

Reply to
Pawalleye

"complete" 4-pin? "complete" 5-pin? 5-pin flat or round? "complete"

7-pin? with brake controller?

the point is, the vehicle comes with a wire harness snap-connector already included which makes connecting a trailer plug easy. /you/ can then connect /your/ trailer wiring needs. if you specified the type of plug you want and the dealer didn't provide it, then you have a gripe. if you didn't specify, then how is the dealer going to know what type of plug you want?

Reply to
jim beam

Disregard my prior comments in light of what Jim Beam sez. Sounds like Honda has done everything but plug the damn lights in for you. As someone else (Seth?) pointed out, there are various DIFFERENT plugs on trailers. They are not really standardized. Would you be as critical if Honda provided a plug/socket for a plug on a E-Z Loader and you happened to have a different on on your Shoreline or whatever?

Why would you not check that "hidden" hitch that Honda charged you for before setting out. Sounds like there was a failure here but it wasn't Honda's fail.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Maybe because there was 2-3 feet of snow and ice around the vehicle and every other vehicle I have owned that came with a male trailer plug was full equipped. According to the dealership Honda does not install the plug in on any Pilots. It is the dealers responsibility they installed it no charge. You should not make assumptions about trailer plugs unless you know what you are talking about. The standard plugs included ( not the flat 4 pin aftermarket) on cars sold in the US is a that has

6 or 7 pins only 4 or 5 are used unless you have electric brakes. There are only 4 wires needed to run all lights.
Reply to
Pawalleye

I wasn't the one, I don't think, that made the assumption that all was well and ready to go without first checking.

So while there were, apparently, several faulty assumptions made, they were made by...

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused