Towing with an Escape

I have a v6 fwd escape, and am thinking about doing some casual around-town towing with it. The Ford web site shows a towing capacity of 3500lbs with the class II towing package. From what I can tell, the Escape's class II towing package is just a tow hitch and a wiring harness? Is that all there really is to this towing package?

Does the v6 escape come standard with a transmission cooler, or should I consider having one added as a precaution? I'm not looking at this point at towing long distances, and probably would be towing more like 2000-2500 lbs at most.

Thanks! Scott

Reply to
Scott Evans

The standard configuration of the Escape V6 allows for up to 2,000 lbs. of towing. I'm not sure what the towing package includes, but I would guess (besides the hitch and harness) that it would have beefier springs and a larger cooler. The Escape has a transmission cooler, but if I was going to be doing any regular towing, I'd opt for a larger one or an additional one. Also keep in mind that the tranny doesn't have a filter per se, just a screen to catch the larger chunks. An external filter might be an additional option to look in to.

SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom

Additionally a brake controller and brakes on the trailer

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg