bent cylinder head fin

Hi,

Just got new heads for my 1600 rebuild. Unfortunatly one of the heads got bent up a bit in transit and looks like this

Is it safe to try to unbend it or should I just not bother and get it exchanged?

What are my chances of getting it straightened out w/o complications like cracking the fin off all together or getting a crack later on?

Thanks as always, Anton

Reply to
anton

Get a replacement or leave it alone. It WILL crack if you try to bend it.

Reply to
Mel P.

Get a replacement or leave it alone. It WILL CRACK if you try to bend it.

Reply to
Mel P.

Reply to
D&LBusch

Thanks guys.

I think I will try to get it exchanged since most of the other parts are on backorder anyway.

Ant> Don't even worry about it. It won't change the temp to a noticeable degree.

Reply to
anton

Maybe that will teach them to package your other items properly.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

I hope so. One layer of buble wrap and newspapers just don't cut it for packing heads.

Reply to
anton

Apparently bent fin was not from shipping, it's how some of them come. Well i guess it's fine, I will leave it along, it's a more of a practice engine anyway.

One strange thing I've noticed when trying to see how well cylinders fit into the head is that, it's a bit loose. Not by much, but I am able to move the cylinder side to side a bit. Is that normal? I remember the original heads were kind of a tight fit. Also one of my cylinders has a part of the fin (large one) broken off should I replace that cylinder or would it be ok?

Thanks, Ant> I hope so. One layer of buble wrap and newspapers just don't cut it

Reply to
anton

It's ok to use that cylinder.

The head to cylinder fit should be fairly snug, but nowhere near "tight" sideways. If it is sloppy loose, the heads would be bored out to accept a larger size cylinder. Measure them.

Jan

anton kirjoitti:

Reply to
Jan