How much to rebuild a 1600 DP.

How much is it to rebuild a VW engine. DIY, no mods. All the bearings and other disposables.

Reply to
DogDiesel

Depends totally on what quality parts you use and how much machining the engine chassis & heads needs. I'd guess that a grand will be enough in most cases, as a ballpark figure.

I had an engine rebuilt (now 1915cc, for typ14) for me last winter and it cost about 400 euros (here in Finland) in parts (new pistons and cylinders, new bearings, new oil pump, gasket set, new valves), 400 euros to machine shop ("everything" as they said: main bearing and cam bearing holes to next standard size, camshaft and crankshaft grinding/polishing, balancing, valve guides and seats reconditioning, chassis halve straightening and some more) and 400 as labour.

As DIY you save the labour but probably pay more to machine shop (at least here), parts should be little cheaper there due the lower sales tax. 1600cc may be a bit cheaper to build but not more than 100euros, nothing significant, so you have think beforehand what kind of engine you really want.

I used Mahle pistons and 'middle price'-quality parts, there are a lot of cheaper parts available and also a lot of much more expensive ones, meant for racing purposes and there's practically no upper limit: You could easily put 4 grand into engine parts alone.

To me piston&cylinder set and bearings made almost 90% of parts cost and I don't see any reason to save a couple of tens on these parts, they are the ones which define the useful life of the engine.

Reply to
Tuomas

So how many Km you get from a middle ground rebuild. .

Reply to
DogDiesel

I expect something over 50 000 km but less than 100 000, even factory made (in Germany) new engines were worn at that point.

I know that 1200cc on my bus was replaced (to a factory rebuilt new engine) at 78 000km and the new engine has now almost 80 000 km on it and the age is showing: it burns oil and compression is somewhat lacking.

But it's smaller engine and all these engines are working very hard on a bus, they'll live longer in a Beetle, unless the driver is lead footed, in that case the age is about the same than in a bus.

Reply to
Tuomas

In October 1998 I had an engine built for me. All new parts including a new case except the cam was like new used.

It cost about 1800.00 US dollars back then.

Reply to
Jim Ed