Bus Fuel Gauge

Hi all,

Has anyone here had the need to repair a type 2 fuel gauge? Mine has gone kapput, the top right wire (as you look from behind the gauge) moves all over the place, sometimes it makes contact and reads 100% full, anywhere else it reads just over empty.

Are these things tricky to fix? Or should I just source another? I've looked on the net for a price but nobody seems to sell them!

TIA, Antony '71 Bus

Reply to
Antony Hutchison

Could be tricky. '71 used a "voltmeter" style gauge (see my web site), and I think the case on that one is sealed. I'm just assuming from your description that the terminal/stud is loose and something inside is moving/making contact.

Your best bet may be calls around to junk yards, or maybe parting out:

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Thanks Jim, that sounds absolutely spot on. Time to go scouting at the junk yard, unless anyone had a suitable one they would sell me...

Cheers, Antony.

Reply to
Antony Hutchison

Oh, I should add that the gauge design changed mid-year '73, so you are looking for a '68 thru '72. Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I was hoping that you weren't going to say that, the only one on thesamba is a 73-79. I can see this is going to be a challenge :-/

Any more suggestions as to websites that might carry this part?

Thanks Antony.

Reply to
Antony Hutchison

I have a 69' Bus,

Try

Ken is really good and usually has what you need, I just changed out my Speedo unit, I do have a fuel gauge but it does not read all the full when full. kp

Reply to
kap425

Thanks! Will check that out, finger crossed :-)

Antony.

Reply to
Antony Hutchison

You could just get another set of gauges, ebay is full of them & there were heaps for sale at BugJam yesterday. Mine is permanently reading full ! I think its the wiring rather than the sender & gauge. There seems to be two wires, one hot & one earth from the sender, which I presume varies resistance.

James

Reply to
Juper Wort

I couldn't make it to Bugjam :-(

But I have found one on ebay that looks to be in good condition, and fairly priced too (even with the postage from Canada). Fantastic! :-)

As for the wiring, I've not really looked because I know the gauge it busted. There's about 6 on mine, for all the little lights (oil, gen, signals) and the two you mention. Try pulling the wire from the sender and seeing if it goes to zero. Then get a long length of wire and running it to the gauge and see. I suppose you could try metering the sender too?

Thinking about it, it sounds like my gauge in some respects - it reads full when the loose connection hits something it shouldn't inside. So maybe it is your gauge?

Antony

Reply to
Antony Hutchison

BugJam was excellent, take a look over at Volkszone.co.uk on the chat forum, theres some decent pics. OK, daft Q. Where is the sender ? I have a 73 bay, so a bit later than yours but AFAIK the sender is at the top of the tank ? Where does the wire go ? I looked & prodded, but cannot find where it joins the loom.

James

Reply to
Juper Wort

Sorry James, I haven't a scoobie... assumed you know where it was because you said you didn't think it was the sender! If the sender connections were shorted, would that give a full reading all the time?

Anybody know? I'm sure it must be at the top, but I don't know where exactly. My bus and all the books are at home, so I can't even look there.

Antony.

Reply to
Antony Hutchison

See the fuel gauge article on my web site.

Also, in the Mechanical section, there is a drawing of a way to cut into the "shelf" in back of the Bus to get at the sender without removing the engine and tank.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

oh goody !!! I look forward to that one LOL.

Sorry to hijack the thread Anthony... BTW

Time to dive under for another look for the wire first.

I believe the sender is working, but want to check the wire path. It seemed to work when i got the bus, but that was about all electical that did. Upon sorting out the dash wiring & getting the warning lamps, headlights & horn to work, i think something has shifted. The gauge sometimes moves in time with the indicator & highbeam, which suggests some bad earth, but all is now bright & shiney, and its a real rats nest etc etc.

James

Reply to
Juper Wort

A-ha. I thought so. You have to pull everything out to get to the sender. Makes perfect sense.

Antony.

Reply to
Antony Hutchison

That's ok, its making me think about how it all goes together.

I'm probably going to ahve a bust gauge long after I get the spare part... it's only the fuel gauge! Everything else is aok... it will stay in the toolbox until I have a need to take the dash apart - no need to disturb all of that until I need to...

Antony.

Reply to
Antony Hutchison

Too right, 4 little screws, i thought, what can go wrong ? i thought.. only two screw actually did anything, and the two metal clips involved launched themselves all over & to put the thing back on you need spaghetti arms to reach under & up at the same time turning the screws. Make sure you attempt this when you dont need the bus for a few days and there are no 'little helpers' around to hear the language !!

James

Reply to
Juper Wort

Just found out why it was flipping between empty and full. One was right...

I made it all but perhaps 30ft to the gas station before it cut out, they must of thought it was some sorta stealth bus rolling up silently to the pump...

...with a mad grinning looney behind the wheel :-))

I don't think I've ever had a bigger smile... Wiggled the wire into place now, so i've a working gauge too! I also know that when it says empty, it means bone-dry, unlike my last car (a Ford Focus) that could do 50 miles beyond empty.

Antony. '71 bus

Reply to
Antony Hutchison