Electrical Short in 1979 Type I Cabrio

Fuse #2 blows when the headlights switch is clicked to the 1st detente. There is no visible damage to the wires coming out of the instrument panel into the front side markers or rear parking lights

My next step is to take the instrument panel apart and use a multi-tester to check out the connections between terminals. I have a Bentley wiring diagram (thank goodness) to help me sort this out

I am not experienced at troubleshooting electrical shorts, so any tips or techniques you may suggest are appreciated

Thanks you

- Ke

-- datatechnic

View this thread:

Send from

datatechnic

is no visible damage to the wires coming out of the instrument panel into the front side markers or rear parking lights.

check out the connections between terminals. I have a Bentley wiring diagram (thank goodness) to help me sort this out.

techniques you may suggest are appreciated.

Goodness! I wouldn't take the panel apart quite yet :-)

See if the number plate light is also out. If so, inspect its wiring closely. Often it gets pinched and shorts to earth.

You can also pull apart the various splices (in plastic sheath) to isolate the problem.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Jim, thank you for your very good advice. You saved me from a lot of heartache

I took out all the bulbs in the #2 fuse circuit, and hooked up the multi-tester to the fuse terminals. When I clicked the headlight switch, the meter was reading voltage, so there was definitely a short somewhere.

As you suggested, I began disconnecting the splices, starting with the front-left parking light. To my surprise, there no voltage, so the short was coming from that circuit. That was quick

I took apart the left-front turn signal assembly and checked the wire connections. The white wire was connected to the metal assembly ground terminal, which meant I was feeding current straight to the ground. Who did this!!

I just bought the car from a very sweet lady. When I first looked at it, she was surprised to find out there was a spare in the trunk, so I seriously doubt she was responsible for this fiasco. I should have done a better job of inspecting the car before buying it, but to be honest, I fell in love instantly with this car the second I saw it.

After fixing the connections the fuse popping stopped and the parking lights work. I can now get my State inspection sticker

Life is good! Thanks again

- Ke

-- datatechnic

View this thread:

Send from

datatechnic

multi-tester to the fuse terminals. When I clicked the headlight switch, the meter was reading voltage, so there was definitely a short somewhere.

front-left parking light. To my surprise, there no voltage, so the short was coming from that circuit. That was quick!

connections. The white wire was connected to the metal assembly ground terminal, which meant I was feeding current straight to the ground. Who did this!!!

was surprised to find out there was a spare in the trunk, so I seriously doubt she was responsible for this fiasco. I should have done a better job of inspecting the car before buying it, but to be honest, I fell in love instantly with this car the second I saw it.

work. I can now get my State inspection sticker.

LOL Great story about the sweet l'il old lady!

Glad you were able to find the prob.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Maybe someone was "fixing" the car for selling, found a loose wire in there and plugged it in the closest free post so that the potential buyer wouldn't ask any questions about the wiring and try to lower the price ;)

Reply to
Olli Lammi