Fuel Smell

Hi all,

Quick question....

If you can smell petrol/gas is it at a combustible level?

I have a very faint smell of it when I open the bonnet in my 68 Type1.

Cheers Spike

Reply to
Spike

Prolly not.

But it *may* be telling you something... Rubber hose perished, gasket leak, etc.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Spike escreveu:

How old are the rubber hoses that you have inside the bonnet? May be it's time to change them.

Jo=E3o

Reply to
joao_eliseu

I replaced all my emission hoses this Spring and solved my fuel smell issue. I got the emission hoses at NAPA . I got 3/16th inch hose. The filler neck hose was my first to go I got that at NAPA also, I think it's a 2 inch hose. One caution I've read is to be sure your tank is being vented after you replace all the hoses.

Houdsie

Reply to
Houdsie

I think it's the rubber that connects the breather pipe.

I will replace it, but was just wondering if there is a point when the 'disconcerting smell of fuel' becomes a 'combustible, disaster waiting to happen smell of fuel'.

Spike.

Spike escreveu:

How old are the rubber hoses that you have inside the bonnet? May be it's time to change them.

João

Reply to
Spike

Would youlike to take that chance, given the multitude of variables in play, like how sensitive some people's noses are to fuel smells? :) or how others understand "very faint".... ?

Replace if in doubt. It's your life you are gambling with.

Jan

Spike wrote:

Reply to
Jan

I think the stoichometric ratio for combustion is around 13.5-1 to 14.5-1, so if it is that high, you won't be breathing long.

Don't worry about exploding, just don't smoke.

Fweem.

Reply to
Dave Tosi

I gave up a while back.

Is the wiring I'm thinking about.

Will err on side of caution.

Thanks for the advice all

Spike.

Reply to
Spike

Breathing gas fumes is not a good thing even if there is no danger of explosion. Gives you a nice headache and propably kill some brain cells on the way.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

UPDATE:

I ran some air into the tank from a compressor via the vapour release pipe.

Managed to track down where the smell was coming from, slightly loose seal on pressure release pipe that runs up to the filler.

Whilst running in pressure to the tank, heard a dripping sound at back on car - looked round there to discover a perished section of fuel pipe.

Never would have spotted it otherwise - so I count myself lucky.

Spike "Olli Lammi" wrote >> I think the stoichometric ratio for combustion is around 13.5-1 to >> 14.5-1,

Reply to
Spike

That's a good idea, presurising the system for leaks. What sort of pressure(psi) should be used?

Reply to
scream

No idea.

It's not a high pressure system.

You don't need a lot.

I pumped in some air, and then covered the opening with my thumb.

I was just aiming to listen for air escaping, you might be able to do it with a bi of puff if you don't have a compressor.

Reply to
Spike