Ignition switch wiring??

Someone needed help with wiring on his newly acquired kit car. As far as he knows the donor was a 73 Beetle (US). He claims the VIN starts 1332-something. That does not correspond to any VW of that era.

The wires coming from the ignition switch are:

a thick red wire a thin red wire a black wire a white wire

He thinks the white one is for headlights and needs to confirm all wires before hooking it up to the rest of the wiring that has been completely redone (EZ-wire aftermarket system)

These wire colors don't match a 72-73 up diagram AT ALL for a super beetle. (Which, I believe, was the only model sold in the US in 73, right?)

What the heck does he have??

I told him since everything else in the vehicle is all messed up or aftermarket, just figure out what key position energizes what wire and use them to your liking.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

You would think the 4 wires would have to be Batt +12 ( thick red) Switched +12 ( thin red?) Starter Solenoid Lights. As you say, best to get somebody with a multimeter to verify it and connect to suit. 1332xxxxxxxxx = chassis number?

Reply to
John

Did Super Beetles do away with the battery power going first to the light switch? I don't know Super wiring that well, but on std beetles the main power coming from the battery to the front goes to the light switch, not the ignition, if I'm not mistaken. It then splits from there.

Reply to
Jan Andersson

It was about 1966 in Aust they changed from batt +12 going only to Lighting Sw only to going to both Ig Sw and Lighting( term 30 from memory).As far as I know on all models.. I,ve seen variations though but they may have been "repairs' done subsequently. I often wondered whether, if VW had an excess of "switch A" , did a short term mod to use up the excess stock!.

Reply to
John

On Mar 26, 9:45=A0pm, Jan Andersson wrote: . (Which, I believe, was the only model sold in the US in 73, right?)

We got standard beetles as well as super's all the way up until the vetr only years.

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

vetr?

J.