Oil Deflector Plate on Crank Missing

What happens if the oil deflector plate in front of # 4 is not installed on crank in case? I told my friend to tear it back down but thought I would also ask here for him.

Reply to
Stephen E Henderson

Are you talking about that louvered deflector plate under the distributor mount? Or the oil slinger? (that large conclave washer on the shaft just before the engine seal). While stripping my engine recently, I was curious what both those pieces are for so looked it up:

Apparently oil gets flung towards the filler tube and that louvered deflector plate stops it from coming out and making a mess of your engine compartment. Pretty sure he will need that piece.

If you are talking about the oil slinger, I think it is there to prevent oil leaks along the main seal -- I'd imagine it is not optional but don't know for sure. He may want to side with caution and put it back in, if it was part of the engine before..

Reply to
Remco

Exxon Valdiz

Reply to
veeduber

I think it pretty much needs to be there. In addition to preventing excessive oil loss out the back of the engine, it also defines the seating plane for the pulley. Without it, the pulley will pull in farther. I'm not sure how much trouble this might cause, but I wouldn't take the chance.

-

Jim Adney