OT: Why I will never set foot in Advance Discount Auto Parts again

Grrr...... Still mad. Just had to vent! I am sending this to the Head man at Advance. I have heard these guys were asses. This confirms it.

Lynn

1974 Superbeetle (& Chevy S-10)

"We don't sell Maury compressors. You didn't buy that from us."

"We'll that is the one that came outta the box you sold to me. I put it on the truck myself."

Apparently, I am a liar. The man didn't come out and say it, but he inferred that I was lying.

On Tuesday, May 3rd, I went into Advance Auto Parts Store #9802 in Bay St. Louis, Mississippi. I bought some tools, sockets (18 mm, 19mm, 22 mm), wiper blade replacements, some Freon 134a, and an air conditioning compressor for my 1994 S-10 Chevy truck. I rang this up at the counter, and the Customer Service Representative told me I needed to also purchase an accumulator and orifice tube, so the compressor would be under warranty for a year. And I should also purchase compressor oil. I purchased these items, and left the store after paying a total of $263.57 for everything.

I went home and installed the compressor, but was unable to get it working (clutch would not engage). So I took the truck to an automotive repair shop, and asked them to repair things. They repaired the system, but had to order a new accumulator since the one purchased at Advance Discount Auto Parts was the incorrect part.

On Thursday, May 5th, I returned to Advance Discount Auto Parts to return the accumulator. I also determined that I did not need the 18, 19 or 22 mm sockets. I already had those sockets sizes, and did not need them. I thought I needed them, but did not.

I took the parts inside, and spoke with a gentleman (who was also at the store on my first trip). He looked at the accumulator and said that I would have to talk with ..(unintelligible).. to get a refund. Unintelligible came over to the counter, and looked at the accumulator, and said "This is a used accumulator. This is not new." I said, "I bought this from ya'll Tuesday, and a guy tried to install it and said it was for an R-12 system, not a R-134a, and would not fit my truck." The accumulator was not the same. The low pressure port switch was welded in the wrong place. He said "We don't sell R-12." I said, "Let me show you my truck." He said, "OK, but that wouldn't show him anything."

We went outside to my truck, and I opened the hood. I showed that the accumulator was the wrong one. I also showed the compressor. He said, "That is a Maury compressor. We don't sell Maury compressors. You didn't buy that from us." I said, "We'll that is the one that came outta the box you sold to me. I put it on the truck myself. I am not trying to screw you guys. I bought this stuff from you." So I closed the hood, and we went back inside.

We went back to the counter, and he noticed the sockets I had returned. "That socket has been used," pointing to the 19 mm socket. I said, "How could it be used? It is still in the plastic holder!" I had not even taken it off the plastic holder.

I said, "I bought all this stuff, and that guy over there was here when I bought it. A short little girl was the cashier who actually rang it up." He said, "I don't doubt you bought it." STILL implying that I had bought these things somewhere else.

He said, "You get back $40.15". Gave me four 10 ten dollar bills and change, though I saw $20s in the register.

I do not know what this man's problem was, but be assured that I will NEVER step foot near an Advance Discount Auto Parts store again because of this treatment. And I will discourage everyone I know to avoid your store.

Reply to
Lynn Martin

You might want to visit

and post your experience there.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

I haven't had many pleasurable experiences with Advance either. If I go to a discount parts store, it's Autozone and we're getting an O'riely's soon.

I grew up in the family business, wholesale auto parts. It sure has changed since my Grandfather sold out. Broke my heart at the time but I see now, 25 years later, that he did me a great favor. We still have 2 locally owned parts store, one Napa and the other an independant and I shop them as often as possible and I suggest we all do the same. It's the only way to get quality parts and the relationships are always worthwhile.

Hate you had a bad trip and I hope your letter generates saticfaction and resolution.

Peace, < TC

Reply to
tcrdn11

Reply to